• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

most likely the boxer would still win. His training methods emphasize fighting moreso than the traditional guy... ESPECIALLY the traditional guys, as they spent most of their time doing kata - they didn't want sparring introduced to karate...

Those guys are holding karate back , I mean , there is nothing wrong with kata , but when it comes to kumite it MUST be done full contact and MORE OFTEN

I agree with you but in less concrete ways

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget the names of the people in this story so forgive me it but there is a story about this guy who wanted to learn karate so he could become a great fighter.

It is another story. True or false, real or imagined, is not determined and therefore not something that should be taken at face value. If you one day come upon the names of these individuals, if they exist, i would like to hear more.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

It is another story. True or false, real or imagined, is not determined and therefore not something that should be taken at face value. If you one day come upon the names of these individuals, if they exist, i would like to hear more.

Me too , it's a good material for a karate movie though :lol: -- I mean it --

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Its in the book "The weaponless warrior" written by Richard Kim. Its in the end of the book past the biographies of people where he gives his opinion of karate and morals and he says that story. I gave someone else the book when i was done reading it, but if you find it, it has it in the book. I would recommend reading that book, not neccesarily for that part of the book but the rest of the book.

If you dont know anything about Richard Kim, here is a website on him. https://www.shimakarate.com/sensei_kim.shtml

y2_sub, that exact picture (your profile is on that website).

Focus

I think in a fight where someone has been boxing for 5 years and someone has been practicing karate for 5 years, the boxer would most likely win. In this situation I think it comes down to conditioning. Most karate practictioners are just average strength. Boxers are constantly getting tougher and stronger. They run, jump rope, lift weights and in great shape. They generally have great footwork and fast hands. Now where I think a karate practioner would win is when they are very experienced. People like my instructor who have 9th degree black belts. They have muscle memory and extrememly fast. On a boxer they would take out the lower legs and then move in fast to other areas on the body. A boxer can only get so good in boxing and then he gets older and cant lift the weights anymore. A karate practioner just keeps getting better.

Its in the book "The weaponless warrior" written by Richard Kim. Its in the end of the book past the biographies of people where he gives his opinion of karate and morals and he says that story. I gave someone else the book when i was done reading it, but if you find it, it has it in the book. I would recommend reading that book, not neccesarily for that part of the book but the rest of the book.

If you dont know anything about Richard Kim, here is a website on him. https://www.shimakarate.com/sensei_kim.shtml

Aye, it is a good read. The book, that is, not the unsubstantiated metaphorical stories included at the end. :)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

It's Oyama Sosai's picture , the founder of our style (Kyokushinkai) ,he is one of the best martial artists that have ever lived .

Oyama ?? He fought 52 bulls , three were killed instantly , and 49 had their horns cut with a shoto strike .

He took over all his challengers , resulting in fight with approx 280 people , the majority of these where defeated with one punch , a fight never lasted more than 3 minutes , and most rarely lasted more than few seconds .

Just to show how strong and durable he was

Oyama ?? He fought 52 bulls , three were killed instantly , and 49 had their horns cut with a shoto strike .

He took over all his challengers , resulting in fight with approx 280 people , the majority of these where defeated with one punch , a fight never lasted more than 3 minutes , and most rarely lasted more than few seconds .

Just to show how strong and durable he was

Sosai Oyama's stunts have made it into Kyokushin legend. The thing with the bulls, well it demonstrates Oyama's promotional skills as much as his karate. What impresses me are the less god-like things Sosai as well as other Kyokushin karateka do, such as the 100 man and in the case of Sosai Oyama 300 man kumite. Practitioners of other styles often wonder how anyone can fight knock-down format 100 times. From watching Matsui Kancho's 100 man kumite, the trick is to knock-down/knock-out your first 50-60 opponents quickly.