• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

its just that most of the time karatekas train their whole life while boxers work in their prime and into the fourties maybe.

True , in the other hand , there are many professional boxers arround , how many professional ( as in fight for living ) karate-ka do you actually know ???

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a boxer and I've beaten 2 different karate black belts. Most of the time the boxer would win.

Beating to black belts doesnt mean a thing, being a black belt means almost nothing. I could have beaten half the black belts ive ever seen when i was 9 and didnt take martial arts.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Beating to black belts doesnt mean a thing, being a black belt means almost nothing. I could have beaten half the black belts ive ever seen when i was 9 and didnt take martial arts.

Thats the problem- beating a black belt SHOULD mean something- it used to mean something, until watered down standards have made them a dime a dozen.

I just realized, i have been thinking this as people who study traditional karate and not for competitions. IN my opninion a traditional karate student would win against a boxer but if all they do is train for competition then i think a boxer would win.

And as Y2_sub said, most karate competition practitioners dont practice longer than boxers. But if you were to find an old karateka how has been practicing for like 50 or 60 years then i would be almost certain the karateka would win. If you have ever watched a martial artist, even if they are old, if they have been practicing for many years they still have amazing speed and agility and stamina.

Focus

most likely the boxer would still win. His training methods emphasize fighting moreso than the traditional guy... ESPECIALLY the traditional guys, as they spent most of their time doing kata - they didn't want sparring introduced to karate...

Those guys are holding karate back , I mean , there is nothing wrong with kata , but when it comes to kumite it MUST be done full contact and MORE OFTEN

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I forget the names of the people in this story so forgive me it but there is a story about this guy who wanted to learn karate so he could become a great fighter. He eventually got frustrated with the repetitive kata training and no actually contact or sparring so he quit. He went on to become an exceptional street fighter who never lost a match except one day he was walking and he saw a man about 50 walking and the man seemed so laid back and calm that it annoyed him. So he ran at him and tried to punch him. The man stepped to the side and grabbed the street fighter and held him down and the street fighter couldnt get away and for once in his life he had fear of defeat. The man let him go and kept walking like nothing had happened while the street fight just stood there stunned by what happened. He later found out that the man was a kata practitioner who practiced almost only katas and had never been in a fight once in his life.

You shouldnt underestimate how skillful one can become from just practing katas.

You practice katas over and over again until it reaches a point where you no longer think and just move and the kata becomes part of you and each move is part of you. Katas are sometimes refered to as "moving zen".

Focus