• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

benefits of TKD sparring

he is probably better, but remember there won't be much flying side kicks and axe kicks to the head in the streets :P

Well, I have seen a roundhouse to the head end a fight just like that, and it was just one kick to the head, so ya, that would qualify as "not much" in the way of high kicks. :P

I do have to say it was pretty effective...

Oh wait, it was in a parking lot, and not technically "in the street", so that must be why it worked. :D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round house kicks are always very effective when u kick to the head.Mainly becuase you kick their ear,and the ear is a source of balance for the human body.Push the ear,and the head and body will fall.Kick the ear...probably get the wind knocked out of them.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

I like to fight from a distance thou. Fighting from a distance is good for me because I am tall and have alot of reach advantage.

Thats all well and good, but most fights start at close range and you wont always have space to dance around, so fighting at a distance is not always an option.

Personally, I would never let a fight go to the ground. Too many things go wrong on the ground if you aren't use to grappling.

Do you train takedown defences at your school?

Tae Kwo Do does have some flashy kicks of little practical application, but that's not all it has. Have a look at the ITF patterns, eg Won Hyo and Hwa-Rang, both are almost identical to Shotokan patterns and include arm breaks, hand and wrist locks, pressure point strikes, knee and elbow strikes, groin strikes, one of the moves in Won Hyo can even be taught as a leg capture and knee lock.So just because you've seen the fancy kicks, don't assume that's all there is. And since when was TKD the only martial art that does a flying side kick. I was told early in my ma career by a Japanese sensei that it was used by chinese peasants to unseat mounted soldiers or bandits. Most of the karateka I have fought in all styles tournaments have been able to deliver effective head high turning kicks and spinning heel kicks. Does that mean all their other techniques are ineffective "on the street". Personally I don't train solely to be effective on the street. An din answer to the previous posts, learning to block is essential, my school teaches the student to block everything and to try turn every block into a strike. And yes a street fight may end up on the ground, but my priority would be to try if possible to avoid the fight in the first place, then to try to finish the fight standing and at a distance and fast, and only resort to close in our ground fighting as a last resort. I am small so I am reluctant to go into a clinch with a big guy.

i think tkd is good for anyone not old enough to do muay thai. its easier to learn a good thai kick if you know the less good tkd kicks. like a warm up for the real stuff.

and for the high kicks- they certainly arent always effective... but they can be in some (non-street) situations.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I think Tkd can be just as effective as Krav Maga, or BJJ in a "street" (or parking lot:) situation...If a TkD practitioner trains aggresively to use his style in that manner. The same goes for any style. Yeah, a lot of TKD is a little weak on in-fighting, but if a TKD person were to just learn to knee properly, it would be pretty devastating, since the same muscles (just about) are being used.

It's all about the training and the mentality of the training.

The greatest clarity is profound silence.

Tae Kwo Do does have some flashy kicks of little practical application, but that's not all it has.

Its flashy kicks are for demonstration and show. I know a lot of TKD practitioners, including my self, they realize the flashy kicks are not its only practice.

Have a look at the ITF patterns, eg Won Hyo and Hwa-Rang, both are almost identical to Shotokan patterns

They are identical, because post WWII many Koreans were influenced by Japanese culture and many studies (including MA) in Japan. Funny you should bring this up. Here is a link, its info of which I have known through my Korean TKD instructor over 20 years ago. Sometime ago, most TKD were changing the patterns to differentiate from the Japanese ones.

http://ryanshroyer.tripod.com/faq/why_shotokan.html

.... and include arm breaks, hand and wrist locks, pressure point strikes, knee and elbow strikes, groin strikes, one of the moves in Won Hyo can even be taught as a leg capture and knee lock.So just because you've seen the fancy kicks, don't assume that's all there is.

Yes, in TKD advance class, the same Korean instructor, that I mentioned above, was in the Korean military and he had some great defense methods, absent of high kicking.

And since when was TKD the only martial art that does a flying side kick.

Not true, many CMA has a flying side kick.

I was told early in my ma career by a Japanese sensei that it was used by chinese peasants to unseat mounted soldiers or bandits.

Not true, the kwan tao (I believe is the correct name) or other "pole" weapons was used to unmount. The kwan tao was used against the horse's legs. Next time you are near horses and a horseman, think of how near-impossible it would be to jump and kick that person off that tall animal. That person and animal would have to be totally standing still, the kicker would have to get a "running" start. By the time that kicker gets near that horse, which has keen hearing, the horse would flinch and move. Been there, we had actually tried it. A fellow student that I had trained together under the same instructor, had the highest jump kicks (even higher than our master), he had tried several times, the horse moved each time he (my kicking friend) was in flight. The first attempt, whereas my other friend (who was not a martial artists) was thrown from the horse because of the sudden reflex action of the horse unbalancing him-not the kick. You have been mislead on one of many martial art myths.

Most of the karateka I have fought in all styles tournaments have been able to deliver effective head high turning kicks and spinning heel kicks. Does that mean all their other techniques are ineffective "on the street".

Yes, given the area or circumstances. I have been in and seen many street fights. Only once did I see some try a high kick, and he was a high Dan in TKD. The kick had failed miserably and so did he when he had to fight his opponent's friends also.

Personally I don't train solely to be effective on the street. An din answer to the previous posts, learning to block is essential, my school teaches the student to block everything and to try turn every block into a strike.

I agree to a degree. Sometimes a block is just a block.

And yes a street fight may end up on the ground, but my priority would be to try if possible to avoid the fight in the first place, then to try to finish the fight standing and at a distance and fast, and only resort to close in our ground fighting as a last resort. I am small so I am reluctant to go into a clinch with a big guy.

This is so true, and this where a lot of "grappling advocates" fail to realize.

Just as a matter of interest, there was a case in the first half of this year in Melbourne Australia where a club goer was charged for killing a nightclub patron in a carpark with a spinning heel kick during a massive brawl. The incident was widely covered in the press.

https://www.news.com.au/common/story%5Fpage/0%2C4057%2C7559796%5E1702%2C00.html

To me this is another illustration of too much emphasis being put on martial arts as a way to win street fights rather than as a way of self discovery.