• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

relaxation

be relaxed in a fight. always be relaxed. your mind can only concentrate on one thing. for example if you grab some one with force. your mind is on the grab. always be relaxed. but ready. like the saying. soft on the outside but hard on the inside. like and iron bar wrapped with cotton around it. you'll move easier and see the openings like nothing.

Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thats what my sifu tells us all the time when we spar : to be relaxed. I find this to be something extremely difficult to do :). Seems like we instinctively contract our muscles in response of some kind of threat.

be relaxed in a fight. always be relaxed. your mind can only concentrate on one thing. for example if you grab some one with force. your mind is on the grab. always be relaxed. but ready. like the saying. soft on the outside but hard on the inside. like and iron bar wrapped with cotton around it. you'll move easier and see the openings like nothing.

Actually, I'll disagree with part of this statement. Yes, be relaxed, as relaxed muscles move a lot faster than tense muscles do. However, if you concentrate your mind on, for example, a grab...you will miss the punch coming at you. If you concentrate on the punch, you'll miss the kick. Etc.

What you need to do, and there's a Japanese term for this that I can't remember right off hand, is to let your mind go free and basically "disengage". Your ultimate goal in the arts is to not think, but rather to react. Thinking to much will slow you down and get your hurt.

When I fight someone, whether the street or dojo sparring, I am very relaxed in body and mind, and I look either at their chest or off to their side a bit. I don't think "If they kick, I'll do this"..or "If they punch, I'll do that..". I just don't think! (No comments out of the peanut section please. (deltal1)) :dodgy: I react.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

[quote name="Shorinryu Sensei

Actually' date=' I'll disagree with part of this statement. Yes, be relaxed, as relaxed muscles move a lot faster than tense muscles do. However, if you concentrate your mind on, for example, a grab...you will miss the punch coming at you. If you concentrate on the punch, you'll miss the kick. Etc.

Sounds like Bruce Lee-JKD

What you need to do, and there's a Japanese term for this that I can't remember right off hand, is to let your mind go free and basically "disengage". Your ultimate goal in the arts is to not think, but rather to react. Thinking to much will slow you down and get your hurt.

Again, sounds like Bruce Lee-JKD

When I fight someone, whether the street or dojo sparring, I am very relaxed in body and mind, and I look either at their chest or off to their side a bit. I don't think "If they kick, I'll do this"..or "If they punch, I'll do that..". I just don't think!

Hmnnn, did you train with Bruce and JKD?

quote]

[Hmnnn, did you train with Bruce and JKD?

Nope.. But I've seen all of his movies..does that count?

What I was saying isn't a new concept. It's been around for a few hundred years...at least.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

[Hmnnn, did you train with Bruce and JKD?

Nope.. But I've seen all of his movies..does that count?

No-if should have learned from a book or video. :wink:

What I was saying isn't a new concept. It's been around for a few hundred years...at least.

And that is what I COMPLETELY agree with you on. There are those that get on a "bandwagon" or "occult list", to where as their opinions/beliefs override other perspective "insights" :pony: