• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would TKD or Hapkido be a good add on??

Hi

I am a student of Baji Quan. If you know what Baji Quan is you should know it seriously lacks kicks, my question is will be should I pick up TKD or should I do Hapkido in order to overcome those short points in Baji Quan??

Thank you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Baji Quan....seriously lacks kicks, my question is will be should I pick up TKD or should I do Hapkido in order to overcome those short points in Baji Quan??

I study both TKD and Hapkido in the dojang I attend. I am not fimiliar with Baji Quan, so I can't recommend an "add on", but I can give you some insight.

TKD will help you develope quick and powerful kicks and stright line punches. You'' learn how to use speed and torque to develope power, as opposed to sheer muscle power. You can develope and improve your attacking and counter attacking skills.

Hapkido uses joint locks, pressure points, and some of the kicks learned in TKD to DEFEND yourself. There are no attacks, at least we don't teach any in our dojang. I feel this system is fairly well rounded and is more of what I would use in actual self defense situation. There is defense against both armed (weapons) and unarmed attacks.

If you need more details, just ask.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

ncole-What do you mean

Again, I don't know if this is true, but arent all the styles balanced, for example one isnt better than the other because they have different stenghts and weaknesses that make up fro each other.

I don't know if this is true, but this is what someone told me, leading to the answer that there is no "best" Martial Art Style.

that is the popular opinion.

i do not know what shotokan teaches but you should really know what it doesnt teach.

does it teach throws?

does it teach kcks?

does it teach punches?

does it teach on the ground fighting?

blah blah blah, like i said i dont know what it does and odes noot teach only you would know that

and to answer your question about all MA's being balanced, NOPE not one bit. some MA's yes , but there are MA's that you will find that are really limited in what they teach. a perfect example of this is boxers, insainly limited to what they teach.

you should really start to develope your own MA. find what you like and train it to death. in my opinion sticking to one MA can really limit you as a martial artist.

balance in witthin one MA? i have not seen one. think of it like a teetor toter, if one side has more weight on it than the other, then the fun goes away and the skinny stay stuck in air.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

All you have to remember dingyuan is that every martial arts has their own weaknesses and strengths.Im guessing your style is close range(wouldnt know-.-).

You may spar a tkd user and once u get close enough you will have the edge since tkd sparring is long range,unless sumone punches you away..which most tkd users dun reli do these days.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

balance in witthin one MA? i have not seen one. think of it like a teetor toter, if one side has more weight on it than the other, then the fun goes away and the skinny stay stuck in air.

KSW is about as balanced as you will find. It teaches in-close grappling and joint-lock skills, and the usual striking skills.

But wait! There's more! You learn many, various weapons, and even learn healing arts if you stick with it long enough!

Internet smack-sparring is not offered though. I learned that "on the street". :P

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean