• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sanchin Kata In Competition

Curt_NSMA

yes a agree with some of the other posts if the judges know what they are looking at and sanchin is preformed well then you certinally SHOULD be given a reasonable score. But in tournaments today it seems that you have to be a gymnist to place, you should look for a really traditional tournament to compete in if you wish to do sanchin. Good luck.

Not true. Most of the tournaments have divided up forms divisons into 3 seperate groups, traditional (traditional base forms only no flips or rotations that would be past 360 degrees or inverted moves), open/creative (form can be creative using martial art techniques, but no flips, inverted moves or rotations of the body past 360 degrees), extreme (pretty much anything goes, flips, tricks, rotations past 360 degress).

Regardless if you do Sanchin in a traditional division or not. Even if you went to a strictly traditional karate tournament, you may still not fair well against karate forms such as Bassai-dai or Gopaisho for example.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to reply, Had to get stuff ready for school, and lost the net for abit. Anyway No I didn't take my top, they wouldn't allow the Testing. So I competed with Sanchin anyway. What shocked me the most is that the Centre Ref Called me up after my Kata, and said he hasn't seen Sanchin done in years and he enjoyed it and said I should be very proud. Also around here there are only 2 Divisions, until Black Belt. There is Musical and "Open" (open allows anything except weapons) and Musical just started in mid-late 2004 around here. I just wanted to see how a Traditinal Kata such as Sanchin would hold up against todays forms, I think it went well. Who Knows if I decide to go to the National Team Try-outs again, Ill enter in to the Traditional Hard Style or the Open Division and do Sanchin with Testing. Because everyone there is mostlt Sport Karate and haven't seen very much of the Traditional side.

Curt

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."--Sun Tzu

The dance of battle is always played to the same impatient rhythm. What begins in a surge of violent motion is always reduced to the perfectly still. - Sun Tzu