• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nsasho(sp) and Shio I in Shotokan?

Samurai Shotokan

Shio is not the correct spelling for "4 corners" there is a term shiho that means four directions, but the only place that I am familiar with this is from Aikido and a few other styles that incorporate shiho nage or 4 directions throw. I've never heard of this in a Shotokan style either. As for the other kata you mention could it be niseishi?

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I ask my sensei's tonight we do have both Heians taught latter im only orange right now( cut me a little slack) Anyway about Nasashio(sp) and Shio I are from Wado-ryu Karate as I heard we just get taught them early thats all

Shio I is hard to explian but here goes Bow and go in to a Horse Stance turn into another 90 degrees to your left with a throught grab and punch do another turn so your facing where you bowed do a chamber punchand another one until you end up where you bow then turn right in a female horse stance with a backfist then kick do land in a forward stance double punch do the same with the left side and thats a far as i can explain it im still learning it too

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• 3 weeks later...

I learned heian nidan when i was for my blue belt test so i learned it as an orange

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 4 weeks later...

ok...i realize i'm joining this discussion a little late but i'd like to give my two cents:

it is not uncommon for certain masters to incorporate techniques and forms from other styles in their curriculum. however, i do have to state my concerns of heian nidan being performed at the black belt level. the heian series was created by "anko" itosu so that karate can be learned at a moderate pace for school children in okinawa. he did this by breaking down the more advanced kata kanku/kwanku dai (aka kusanku dai) and some other kata that has been forgotten in this generation.

anyhow, this series of kata was originally known as "pinan" in okinawa, which explains why the series is relatively the same throughout different karate branches. when gichin funakoshi (founder of shotokan) brought karate from okinawa to japan, he reversed the order of the first two forms (he thought pinan shodan was to sophisticated for the beginning level and switched it with pinan nidan) and changed the name to "heian." that explains the learning order of the "pinan" forms of karate developed in okinawa verses the "heian" forms of karate which developed in japan.

also, the suffix of the series determine the order in which the kata is learned: shodan, nidan, sandan, yondan, godan is translated as "beginning level, 2nd level, 3rd level, 4th level, 5th level," respectively. if you are learning godan after shio i, but nidan at black belt, either the techniques of your karate school or naming of the forms have been altered DRASTICALLY for this to be. the pinan/heian kata are designed for karateka of the beginning to intermediate level, and its purpose is to PREPARE them for the more advanced forms.

and just a little comment about the "four corners," there are many martial arts systems in the world that emphasize four directions in their training. the original taekwondo form "chun ji" uses basic blocks and punches in 4 directions. many chinese arts have forms based off the plum flower, characterized by its 4 petals, and this principle is also known as 4 gates. many karate and tkd schools also have basic training in 4 direction blocking. kenjutsu and aikido schools have the four direction cut and throw. and many other karate katas are based on the 4 directions of attack, defense, and maneuvering. this is a basic staple to many martial arts systems.

i apoligize for such a long entry. i realize i may be preaching to the choir on some of these aspects as i reiterated statements already said or things that some ppl may already know, but i wrote this much for those who may not have known the history of some kata (and by no means do i know it all either). ok...i think thats enough...best of luck to everyone!

"It is said the warrior's is the twofold way of the pen and the sword, and he should have a taste for both ways..."

Do you have any diagrams available for these two katas, or a link we can view a video of them?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I still believe that he's actually talking about Nijushiho and Jion. The pronounciation would be pretty close to these. These are also very common kata in Shotokan.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Shi Ho Hi is a Chito-ryu kata....after the horse stance in 4 directions(ending up facing original direction) you come up into crane stance, low block then side kick then you go down into a short horse stance and do a double empi to the back about waist height and the go up into an opposite crane stance and repeat the same sequence....i won't continue, but is this the same kata?

"No matter how you may excel in the art of

Karate, and in your scholastic endeavors, nothing is more important than your behavior and your humanity as observed in daily life."

~ Master Gichin Funakoshi