• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nsasho(sp) and Shio I in Shotokan?

Samurai Shotokan

Is there any other Shotokan schools that teach these katas instead of heian Nidan and Sandan. To my knowledge heian Nidan is taught at black though even though I learn Heian Godan after Shio I. I also want to learn theses katas though why doesnt my school teach it!?

And where did these other katas come from and is there any videos on the net i can use for reference?

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but I'd like to comment about something you said.

...heian Nidan is taught at black ...

Interesting. Your Heian Nidan (with modifications of course) is the same kata as our Pinan (Okinawan system here). Pinan Shodan is the first kata taught...as a white belt. You guys learn it as black belts?

I didn't think it was that tough of a kata! I guess I need to go watch the local Shotokan class again one of these days.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Shorin Ryu Sensei

Our club doesnt teach Heian Nidan (till black so I heard) and Heian Sandan about heian sandan im not sure but i will ask shihan this thursday but different clubs and organizations teach different stuff even in the same style and all i know about Shio I is that it mean Four Corners

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

I've been in shotokan karate for almost 12 years now and have never heard of those 2 kata. Prehaps your teacher pulled them from another style and added them to the shotokan list.

As far as Heian Nidan being taught at black I have troulbe with that for 2 reasons.

1. Heian Nidan was originally the first kata taught until Gichin Funakoshi changed them arround and put Heian Shodan first.

2. The Heian Kata's in general are broken up parts of Kanku Dai which sometimes is the black belt kata one may do.

I don't want to take a shot at your teacher but be careful if he is teaching 2 katas none of US shotokan people have heard of early thats prob. not good. Also if he is teaching Heian Nidan and a Dan leval kata it sends me a message he don't know a lot. Im sorry if that stepped on any toes just trying to be helpful.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Nsasho might be Nijushi-ho. Shio I...huh, that beats me.

Still, those kata - by the names that S. Shotokan has given - do not ring any bells.

Overall, it sounds that he's training in some spin-off school that doesn't follow the shotokan curriculum.

I feel pretty confident to say that those kata are not Okinawan kata either - nor belong to any Okinawan or Japanese karate style (named that way).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Samurai Shotokan, the best person to ask for information about Nsasho ans Shiho I is your Sensei. He will be able to tell you about the origin of them and why he teaches them to you before Heian Nidan and Heian Sandan.

Some schools incorporate recently created kata (usually created by the head of that school) - Shiho I and Nsasho may come into that category.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Is there any other Shotokan schools that teach these katas instead of heian Nidan and Sandan. To my knowledge heian Nidan is taught at black though even though I learn Heian Godan after Shio I. I also want to learn theses katas though why doesnt my school teach it!?

And where did these other katas come from and is there any videos on the net i can use for reference?

Can you describe the "Shio kata?"

Our instructor recently started teaching us a different "form" of kata for lack of a better term that he refered to as Shio. Each kata was called Shio followed by Sono Ichi, Sono Ichi, Sono Nee (?sp) ect.