• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning a new style

cmantim

How long should you train in a style before starting to learn something else.....I'm currently a Roku-Kyu learning Isshinryu, which I love, but I've been thinking about adding a little JJ for ground work.....Am I rushing it? I don't want to stop learning Isshinryu and start something else, I'd like to learn them both in tandem if possible. Thanks. :karate:

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I personally think and have been told by my Kancho that you should have a core and train around it. For example the style you train never quit that style and then maybe go out and check out some grappling, boxing, weapons or whatever interests you but you should allways have a core of basics that are time tested. I hope this helps you.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

If you enjoy what your doing now and you feel it is realistic towards self defense then I would not venture out for awhile. You really need to build a base foundation before heading out there and adding more. So if you plan on sticking with your current style then stay there for sometime and once you develop your foundation then you should venture out to get more.

If your thinking at all about leaving your current school then I would seggust finding a school that trains a well rounded program meaning they cover all aspects, these schools (if good) will build a good foundation for you with stand up, groundwork and everything inbetween!

Good Luck

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Thanks.....that's what I've been kinda figuring out.....prolly best to wait until blackbelt to start something new. I guess by then, your skills will be at a level, whereas you won't be too confused and mixing things up. Again, thanks for your opinions. :)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

I would suggest sticking with Isshin-Ryu Karate. As you advance you will learn certain "secrets" of the art. When you reach your black belt, you will have a deeper understanding of how much you actually take people down in the art. You just don't realize it yet being an orange belt. If you want to get into grappling, I have found that Aikido, which is more redirection I suppose, goes well with Isshin-Ryu. You will also get to learn some very complex, and fun kata as a karateka in Isshin-Ryu. Kusanku and Chinto are two of my favorites. Seiuchin is also a very good kata, make sure you work on your horse stance to keep the kata proper. Breathing is also an important part of the kata, which you should be currently learning or know. Good luck with whatever you decide, have fun.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 3 weeks later...

YOu can train as much and as many styles as you want but you shouldn't lose the foundations and stuff like that.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."