• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fear of comitment!

Marcus Aralius

im scared that if i start getting into the technical side of karate too much i might loose my fighting instinct and get crappy at sparing. i love training but i dont think i could handle the responsibility with getting black belt. advancing to ni dan would be hard too as you have to help train a class and i recon i'd make a * teacher all i know how to do is too fight, what should i do, should i train onto 1st dan and take on the responsibility or stay at miserable 3rd kyu for the rest of my training days???

Was going to put a Masutatsu Oyama quote here but changed my mind, look them up yourselves

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kind of fighting do you know how to do?

Also, I hate to break it to you, but by beginning training in the first place you should have already taken on a great deal of responsibility. You have the responsibility not to use your skill unless you absolutely have to. You have a responsibility to your instructor to try your hardest t olearn what he/ she is teaching you. You have a responsibility to your peers to learn control so you don't injure them in class. I can go on but I won't. So, what's a little more responsibility compared to what you already have?

You won't know whether or not you'd make a poor teacher until you try. Also, it's been my experience that if you think you're doing a bad job, that just means that you're worried about how well you're doing. It also means that you probably aren't doing nearly as poorly as you think you are. Your instructor will help you through all of this. You should never be left to your own devices while you are learning. I don't see the big deal.

Also, being 3rd kyu should give you at least 1 1/2 to 2 years to think about it.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

im scared that if i start getting into the technical side of karate too much i might loose my fighting instinct and get crappy at sparing. i love training but i dont think i could handle the responsibility with getting black belt. advancing to ni dan would be hard too as you have to help train a class and i recon i'd make a * teacher all i know how to do is too fight, what should i do, should i train onto 1st dan and take on the responsibility or stay at miserable 3rd kyu for the rest of my training days???

If you dont study the technical side your just cheating yourself, also how does this affect your insticts?

also teaching is a great learning opportunity

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

Stop being such a bitch.

(I may sound rude or whatever, but 'stop being such a bitch' always works when somebody is complaining. This magical sentence will enlighten them about how petty their problem is.)

- Musse

"Be careful: The toes you step on today may be connected to the * you'll be kissing tomorrow"

Maybe Karate is not for you!!!!!!!

As most people who have been invovled in the martial arts for sometime know, that some arts are just not for some people. That does not mean that there is not a school out there with a program for you. For example I've had a few students quick because they are looking to stand around in the horse stance all class throwing blocks and punches, well we dont train like that here. So my program is not for them.

If you enjoy training but not wanting to advance in your current art THEN I SAY YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

Maybe try finding an MMA school of mixed martial arts that does not train with traditional concepts.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

All of you guys with negative responses probably dont know what it is to be on his shoes. I KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE! I went from yellow to orange belt, beating up green-black belts from other dojos and styles. As soon as I hit green belt myself, and started working on my technique, I became more aware of what I was doing and calmed down on the parts I didnt have control on. Now black belts that i could beat before can kick my * easly, but my katas are better than theirs! (Have gotten all 1st places on katas since ive been sucking at combat )

My advice is, get into the technique. You might get worst at fighting but you will be aware of every single thing. (I will be releasing an article on this, give me 2-3 more days)

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

I would also like to remind the newer guys, sparring is simply another tool that should be used for learning timing along with technique.

Sparring is not fighting by any stretch of the imagination. competition sparring usually amounts to little more than a fancy game of tag. If used correctly (taking the emphasis of competition away) free sparring can have many benefits.

You don't get your @ss kicked in a dojo(you shouldn't). You are shown weaknesses that you may have. You figure this out, fix it and are better for having had the lesson. Everything in a dojo should be about learning and improving not I'm better at this than they are, or I might not be able to spar but my forms look better. The only person in martial arts that you need to worry about beating is yourself. Try and do better every time you perform a technique.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.