• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

training for comp

Marcus Aralius

Hi, Im going in a knock down kyokushin tournament in a few weeks, i was wondering if anyone can help me out with my training, right now i train 5-6 days a week but im planing to take it easyer as the tournament date gets closer say 2 weeks, im not sure if i'll be doin the right thing, is it good or bad to train hard before a tournament? i also go to the gym 3-4 times and run a little bit but not as much as i should be, should i run more to build up cardio and endurance? how does everyone else train? what food should i eat right before the tournament? does anyone know what athletes eat before they go out on the track or what brand of cerial kostya tzu eats? and on a lighter side does sex the night before a comp have a negative effect on "performance". I know i always feel better in the morning but i herd that you shouldnt do it.

Was going to put a Masutatsu Oyama quote here but changed my mind, look them up yourselves

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First of all sex never has a negative on my performance, the more I do it the better I get. Anyways while conducting fight preperation you need to train hard but remember you can over train. Okay your primary focus is of course going to be working on your techniques, sparring, and endurance conditioning drills that are related to fighting, by this I mean mitt/pad drills sparring drills etc. Then once your working a good training routine thats all martial art related, then you start to include your weight training and road work(running, sprints etc.) Remember start off with about 4/5 days of training a week always give yourself atleast that 1 day break, trust me your body needs it. And the 4 days a week should be a minimum, never less than four. Now a couple weeks prior to your fight your going to want to slow it down a bit , meaning keep on with the technique training, keep sparring, but cuting back some to let your body recover to maximum potential. Dont just take a 2 week break because your going to drop below your max potential then.

Good Luck

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

EASE UP ON THE TRAINING A COUPLE OF DAYS BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT. SLEEP GOOD AND EAT LIGHT THE DAY YOU ARE GOING TO FIGHT AND YOU'LL DO GOOD. TRY TO ELIMINATE GREASY FOODS, FRUIT IS GOOD.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

If u only got a couple of weeks then skip the weights and work on cardio. I mean do sprints, run, swim and plenty of intense pad drills. Skip the heavy bag if u have someone to hold pads. Lots of core work too ie abs, with medicine ball and someone punching u in the guts. Work on only 2 or three of your best techniques, as a couple of weeks r not enough to get ready. 3 months is what u need if u r serious. What's your weakness? What techniques do u have trouble countering? FIND OUT :bawling: Then have someone attack u with that technique. NO SEX, even with yourself :lol: . It actually does increase your energy, and even if it doesn't you will feel the urge to hurt someone very badly :kaioken: Huge breakfast, protein, carbs and veggies fruits. Then healthy small meals all day (4 to 6), then light dinner. Meditate every day :karate: and good luck :P

Donkey

Here is my advice:

- Continue to train hard up until your tournament. Giver yourself a few days rest before tournament though by doing some lighter training. If you have two weeks until your tournament, avoid doing any type of training that could potentially bruise your body up (so no contact sparring). If you have bruises now, ice them every day.

- Try to eat a healthy balance of carbs, proteins, and don't forget those vegetables. The day before your tournament and the day of... don't go all crazy and eat some super healthy thing if it's not normally what you eat. It's important to eat what your "comfort food" is. That is, food that you know how your body reacts too.

- Practice your combos like crazy.

- Do pyrimad training (kick the bags by going 1, then 1, 2, then 1,2... working your way up to 10... then back down to 1 again... then do the other side).

- Tournament bouts are basically going to make your body work anaroebically (sp?). So do a lot of anaroebic training. The best training method for this is wind sprints. Sprint as hard as you can for about 100-200 meters... when you get to the end... walk back to the start... then as soon as you hit the start... sprint as HARD as you can again... and repeat this process.

- Most important thing, have fun... if you win, that is awesome, if you lose... that's absolutely fine too because I guarantee you will learn A LOT and you can take that experience with you and train harder.

• 4 weeks later...

agree with dijita. train hard before the tournament but stop few days before it. rest well. practise a little

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.