• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training

I'm not sure if this would be considered "out of the ordinary" but I just started wearing 10lbs. ankle weights every day weather it be at school work ect and do a few minutes of round-kicks with them on the bags at the dojo.

Also to get faster and stronger punches, I have been using 10lbs. dumbells and do as many punches as I can, hooks, upper-cuts, jabs ect. I have noticed some positive feedback from these.

Several sets of crunches/leg lifts ect every other night.

10 pound set? (5 on eatch)

i lbiev eyou mean, because they almsot dont make 20 pound set ankles, i ware them too ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. You are correct though I did just bust one of them on the bags (surprise, surpise :roll: ) and still have the reciept and I did see a set of 10lbs each ankle weights at the local Sears so I'm going to look into those.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the heck of it, here is what I currently do at my gym (changes about every 2 months) : (note : english not being my natural language, I might not know all the technical terms)

-1 Leg at a time squats : With a machine, You lay on ur back and push upwards at a 70degree angle, more or less. (quads and butt)

- Leg flexions (dunno how to translate "ischo-jambier" ..basically the muscle opposite to ur quads)

- Bench press immediately followed by 10 clap pushups. No pause between these 2 exercises. (pecs and arms)

- "Wide grip pull down" : for upper back muscles, followed by 10 reversed push-ups.

- Military press (shoulders and deltoides)

- Biceps/triceps flexions with a machine, no pauses between each exercises.

- Abs : Iron belt

- Stretching

Each exercise are done in 3 sets of 10 repetitions.

I need to add more cardio work-out in there, Ill get myself a nice jumping rope.

ps : This training is just to complement what I do in the kwan. My aim is to stay in shape, not necessarily get real buff.

I'm not sure if this would be considered "out of the ordinary" but I just started wearing 10lbs. ankle weights every day weather it be at school work ect and do a few minutes of round-kicks with them on the bags at the dojo.

Also to get faster and stronger punches, I have been using 10lbs. dumbells and do as many punches as I can, hooks, upper-cuts, jabs ect. I have noticed some positive feedback from these.

Several sets of crunches/leg lifts ect every other night.

10 pound set? (5 on eatch)

i lbiev eyou mean, because they almsot dont make 20 pound set ankles, i ware them too ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. You are correct though I did just bust one of them on the bags (surprise, surpise :roll: ) and still have the reciept and I did see a set of 10lbs each ankle weights at the local Sears so I'm going to look into those.

*runs to sears*

In powerlifting, you most definetely will gain bulk......plyometrics, on the other hand, will produce an explosive power, but not a "bulk" effect.

Being "huge" usually does limit your overall ability in terms of movement, unless you stretch constantly and correctly.

Im also a fitness trainer for 15 years, so Id be happy to field any questions about that type of working out if anyone has any....

So, bottom line is, there is nothing wrong with powerlifting for martial artists, because a good martial artist will definitely be "stretching constantly" (and hopefully correctly), right? :D

I used to weight train excusively before learning MA, and I did have to overcome the handicap of stiff, inflexible joints, to get flexible as I am to date (not that I am super flexible yet!), but as I continue work at it, I can feel and measure my flexiblity getting better and better.

The good thing is, I haven't lost any of my strength - I still can bench ~350 lbs.

I've mentioned this before, but professional (and even college) athletes, whose livelihoods depend on quick, explosive reactions, power train all the time. Those athletes embrace it's benefits.

I don't believe power training is something to avoid just because you're a MAist.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean