• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training

You will find that physically, the arts and weightlifting have contradictory effects on the body. Martial art training helps to elongate the muscle, whereas weight tend to shorten and "bulk" the muscle, unless you do a light weight, high rep workout, with TONS of stretching.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not necessarily... power training trains the neurological system - the goal is to make your muscles contract harder. If you are doing this training properly, you will not gain any bulk.

even with bulk, you have to be huge to severely limit yourself in a way that prohibits your fighting.

I workout with elastic tubing. Punching, and kicking. I think it has increased my speed. You can use bungee cords, or I use medical tubing you can get at most supply stores. You can snake it through the crack in the door on the hinge side and then shut the door and it will stay. This way you can set at any length.

I use surgical tubing to practice my throws.

Seven.....what do you mean by "power training" ?....are you refering to powerlifting, or plyometrics ?

In powerlifting, you most definetely will gain bulk......plyometrics, on the other hand, will produce an explosive power, but not a "bulk" effect.

Being "huge" usually does limit your overall ability in terms of movement, unless you stretch constantly and correctly.

Im also a fitness trainer for 15 years, so Id be happy to field any questions about that type of working out if anyone has any....

I have film footage of traditional judokas in Japan using their own belts wrapped around a tree for throwing practice.....its a scene from the documentary movie called "Budo".

Seven.....what do you mean by "power training" ?....are you refering to powerlifting, or plyometrics ?

not powerlifting - neurological training, i.e. power to the people. HEAVY weight, extremely low sets, as in two. relatively no bulk at all.

Being "huge" usually does limit your overall ability in terms of movement, unless you stretch constantly and correctly.

that's what I said. "even with bulk, you have to be huge to severely limit yourself in a way that prohibits your fighting."

I'm a big guy, but not a huge guy. my muscle does not limit me.

I have film footage of traditional judokas in Japan using their own belts wrapped around a tree for throwing practice.....its a scene from the documentary movie called "Budo".

it's an excellent way to practice uchi komis. When I do them, I do 300 reps. you can't always find a partner willing to let you do that many reps on them. For this, you can't beat the surgical tubing.

I'm not sure if this would be considered "out of the ordinary" but I just started wearing 10lbs. ankle weights every day weather it be at school work ect and do a few minutes of round-kicks with them on the bags at the dojo.

Also to get faster and stronger punches, I have been using 10lbs. dumbells and do as many punches as I can, hooks, upper-cuts, jabs ect. I have noticed some positive feedback from these.

Several sets of crunches/leg lifts ect every other night.

running is allways good, wind sprints are good also, one thing that i do that is a bit extreme is mountain running in which i will start at the bottom of a mountain and run up it. I live in the appalachians so that is pretty in tence. another thing is jump squats in which you squat all the way down and spring up and forward try to do this all the way up a hill and you wil feel it believe me.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

I'm not sure if this would be considered "out of the ordinary" but I just started wearing 10lbs. ankle weights every day weather it be at school work ect and do a few minutes of round-kicks with them on the bags at the dojo.

Also to get faster and stronger punches, I have been using 10lbs. dumbells and do as many punches as I can, hooks, upper-cuts, jabs ect. I have noticed some positive feedback from these.

Several sets of crunches/leg lifts ect every other night.

10 pound set? (5 on eatch)

i lbiev eyou mean, because they almsot dont make 20 pound set ankles, i ware them too ;)

try back wieght too, i maintain about 25 for the last few years, i wanna increase it to 65 or so.