• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training

Not talking about technique, but what do you do out of the ordinary to train your muscles?

its odd but i ware on average 35 pounds of extra wieght around... i have noticed a HUGE impact of my leg muscles, being only 5'6, i can successfuly vert jump up to a regulation sized basketball net. And my sprinting/kicks are very strong.

Anyone else do anything kinda wierd for the sake of strength?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of normal pushups/situps and such at the beginning/end of classes, I do no sort of weight training at all.

Unless you count the occassional 12oz aluminum can lift and pour?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

let's see, odd things that I do involved with training... I guess for calf strength i'll walk around on the balls of my feet for long periods sometimes, go up and down stairs at a maximum rate ( skipping multiple steps - i'm on the 3rd floor , so i use a LOT of stairs ) Other than that just the usual weight and stuff.

Some of my friends are amused by my habit of practicing kicking walls and such with propper foot positioning whenever I have a free moment..lol

oh, and I used to play with my roomates 2 year old and do a monkey jump similiar to plyometric drills - she seemed to get a kick out of that( " Hop James Hop it!!!" ) not sure how much benefit i really received by leaping from a crouch across the room tho.

"I once thought that life was a mixed bag, now I know it's just a bag of all"

Shorinryu Sensei pretty much uses the same weight training method that I use.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I live on a huge hill so I will try and steam up and down there at least once a week.

I also do my kata slow and with massive dynamic tension... every single muscle in my body tense!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Im also a personal trainer/fitness instructor at a gym, so I get to work out on tons of machines all the time.....between that and an empty classroom to do my katas in.....Im like a kid in a candy store.....Then of course, like Shane and ShorinRyu......I LOVE the 12 oz curl...... :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I workout with elastic tubing. Punching, and kicking. I think it has increased my speed. You can use bungee cords, or I use medical tubing you can get at most supply stores. You can snake it through the crack in the door on the hinge side and then shut the door and it will stay. This way you can set at any length.

Honor all things.

I've been doing this since I've started college this fall semester:

Monday - Karate

Tuesday – Chest/Triceps

Wednesday – Karate

Thursday – Shoulders/Biceps

Friday - Off

Saturday – Karate (Every other week)

Sunday – Chest/Legs

Chest

Flat Bench Press 4 sets

Incline Hammer Strength Machine 2 sets

Dumbell Flyes 2 sets

Back

Deadlift 3 sets

Lat Pull down 3 sets

Seated Cable Row 2 sets

Biceps

Standing Barbell Curls 3 sets

Preacher Curls (with dumbells) 1 set

Triceps

Tricep Press down 2 sets

Dips (weighted) 2 sets

Legs

Squats 4 sets

Leg Extension 2 sets

Leg Curl 2 sets

Seated/Standing Calve Raises 5 sets total (2 or 3 sets each way)

Shoulders

Seated Military Press (with dumbells) 4 sets

Lateral Raises 3 sets

Shrugs 3 sets

As a white belt, I am probably in better shape than all other white belts, and a few yellow belts even. I am lifting to build muscle mass, so my diet consists of a lot of protein everyday, and a swig of creatine 10 minutes after I workout. Currently 6'0, 177lbs. with a mostly muscular build. Hoping that by May 05 I am up to ~200lbs, with better muscular tone than I have now, and a yellow belt in Goju Ryu. I've found that karate works areas that weight lifting doesn't, and vice versa. Karate helps immensely with flexibility and cardio.