• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo/Kempo Roll Call

Red J

How many members do you have?

Space is always a luxury. Our dojo is rather large, as far as they go - thanks to the fact that my instructor has been teaching for a long time, and bought the building next to us in the mall, then knocked down the wall and continued the training floor through that building.

We have about 200-300 students, as far as I know, but most of our advanced classes are less than 15 at a time - there's always the regulars, and then those that just kind of pop in and out. Most of the others are kids.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say you're the first Kenpo person that has an instructor that I like. Black belt under GM Parker, 6th Degree...looks like you've got a great school!

Is that crest a school original, or is it part of whatever association you follow?

Ed Parker

i think it's a shool original. as far as an association goes, i think we're the only kenpo school in my part of dallas but there are several in dallas i've heard of. but it's a big city, so they aren't very close. so i'm not aware of any association we are a part of but we might be.

After the IKKA fell apart, a lot of schools aren't under any association anymore - that's not a bad thing. I actually am not even sure if we're still part of any organization.

Ed Parker

Good point, Kajukenbopr. I was figuring you meant Joe Emperado - I didn't even know there was another one. Thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, I heard some people think Joe Emperado was a founder of Kajukenbo, but he only helped at the first Kajukenbo schools in Hawaii. Seems Joseph Emperado and one of his students trained with Ed Parker and helped with Parker schools(his student Godin also helped with PArker schools also)

Siju Adriano Emperado was one fo the 5 men from the Black Belt Society which got together to form Kajukenbo.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

After the IKKA fell apart, a lot of schools aren't under any association anymore - that's not a bad thing. I actually am not even sure if we're still part of any organization.

i think the IKKA definitely needs to be re-established.

i think the IKKA definitely needs to be re-established.

Amen to that. Let's do it, shall we? hehe..."The IKKA is now headed by a seventeen year old black belt and a purple belt." Yeah, people will go for that one...

Kajukenbopr, I was never quite sure what Emperado (Joe) did, but I had heard of his name and that he had helped make some other style. Is Kajukenbo similar to American Kenpo?

Peace;

Parkerlineage

Ed Parker

Well, to my knowledge

American Kenpo focuses more on rapid hits using mainly the hands. Not so much use of grappling as other kenpo and a lot of quick movement to overwhelm the opponent.

Kajukenbo, although it has a lot of quick hits, it involves more kicks; we train to grapple and groundfight a lot(though I guess American Kenpo trains in this too). But we seem to be more KArate like- not so much rapid movements all the time, just in the techniques we use.

American KEnpo strikes are a bit different but I think most of the style is pretty much the same. How it is executed is where the styles might differ.

Like I said, I dont really know much about American KEnpo,so I could be wrong.

Send me a pm and we'll discuss the differences, I'd like to learn more about American Kenpo.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

actually, american kenpo does resemble karate, but yes, we prefer to move more rapidly. but then again, whether or not the user decides to use that approach is up to him. some kenpoists i know sacrifice the rapid movements for more raw power.