• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo/Kempo Roll Call

Red J

Sounds good. I know there is a thread already started. I will revive it tomorrow. You may want to take a look for it as well.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think there are like...zero...Parker American Kenpo people here. I've only been able to use my acutal knowledge once, and it was to somebody who was in a different style that learned our forms from video tape.

So, tell me about Shaolin Kempo. You and I can at least discuss the similarities and differences of our arts, eh?

Hey! I am a Parker Kenpoist! I am in Baltimore. I train at a Parker/ Planas lineage school. Noticable difference in the material that I had learned years ago( I studied for a few years in the 90's) from a student of Joe Palanzo, compared to what I am relearning now. Now I feel that I am being taught the correct way, learning the why and the how.

Mr. Parker was right..feeling is believing!

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!

Awesome! I love learning from Master Planas - granted, the man scares the living daylights out of me, but he's got lots of good stuff to teach. I've had two private lessons with him before, and been to several of his seminars. I also had to test for my black belt in front of him.

Say...what rank are you? Do you know the extension to Obscure Sword, because my instructor doesn't teach the extensions, so I'm learning them on my own time, and I can't get the stupid thing to work. How do you go from hammerfisting them in the groin from in front, to buckling their knee, to kneeing them in the tailbone!?! That's like a 180 turn on their part!

We must keep talking...

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I train in american kenpo along with my younger brother. Im an orange belt, but i dont know our lineage.

I come to you with only "Karate" - empty hands. I have no weapons; but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, or right or wrong; then here are my weapons - "Karate" - my empty hands.

Awesome! I love learning from Master Planas - granted, the man scares the living daylights out of me, but he's got lots of good stuff to teach. I've had two private lessons with him before, and been to several of his seminars. I also had to test for my black belt in front of him.

Say...what rank are you? Do you know the extension to Obscure Sword, because my instructor doesn't teach the extensions, so I'm learning them on my own time, and I can't get the stupid thing to work. How do you go from hammerfisting them in the groin from in front, to buckling their knee, to kneeing them in the tailbone!?! That's like a 180 turn on their part!

We must keep talking...

Hey Parker,

I'm not quite that advanced, yet! I am actually starting over from the beginning at white belt. I was in Kenpo in the 90's and made it to purple, but had to quit. Life threw some curves and I wasn't able to get back into it for about 12 years. I found the school that I currently attend by chance. It is the only Parker/Planas lineage school in all of Maryland. There are only about 5-6 students to 3 instructors. Lots of personal attention. We do a version of the 16 techniques system, but like your school, don't do the extensions.

My instructors were part of Jeff Speakman's AKKS, but switched to Huk's group. I think it is a very good move. I am relearning everything, but it is worth it. I am learning it the way it should be taught.

Just going over short 1 has been eye opening. I didn't learn about torque and double factors at my last school. It's ashame.

I may not be able to talk about the more advanced things but am willing to discuss whatever topics that you like.

I look forward to talking with you. Drop me an email or a PM if you like.

HKF

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!

I'm not quite that advanced, yet!

Dang. Oh, well. We can still have some awesome disussions.

I am learning it the way it should be taught.

Amen to that! Master Planas is probably the best that you can get. Have you seen him before?

So, tell me. Do you do Attacking Mace, Alternating Mace, and Sword and Hammer, or do you do Spreading Branch, Aggressive Twins, and Intellectual departure? We do the first three, but Master Planas just recently told us that we should be doing the others. I see merits in all of them - unfortunately, the latter three are much harder, and my instructor doesn't feel like teaching them to the kids.

Ed Parker

Amen to that! Master Planas is probably the best that you can get. Have you seen him before?

So, tell me. Do you do Attacking Mace, Alternating Mace, and Sword and Hammer, or do you do Spreading Branch, Aggressive Twins, and Intellectual departure? We do the first three, but Master Planas just recently told us that we should be doing the others. I see merits in all of them - unfortunately, the latter three are much harder, and my instructor doesn't feel like teaching them to the kids.

No, not yet. I am planning on attending a seminar in the near future.

We do Spreading Branch, Intellectual Departure and Agressive Twins.

Of the 3 Intellectual departure is the hardest in my opinion. Aggressive Twins is just like Alternating Mace, but with the feet.

Our Yellow Belt goes like this.

Delayed Sword

Sword of Destruction

Deflecting Hammer

Grasp of Death/ Pincher

Checking the Storm

Attacking Mace

Mace of Aggression

Spreading Branch

Intellectual Departure

Aggressive Twins

Short 1

Star Block.

I gotta go. Off to Class. Talk with you Later.

Dave[/b]

I'd figured that I put this on any way, even though it is late. I study okinawian kenpo karate. My shihan and keoshi studied directly under Ono(i think I'm spelling his name wrong oops,) in Okinawia Japan

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

- If you want peace, prepare for war-

Vegetius

Do you do Attacking Mace, Alternating Mace, and Sword and Hammer

Oops. I meant Captured Twigs, not Attacking Mace.

We do Spreading Branch, Intellectual Departure and Agressive Twins.

Interesting. Now, what I find weird is that Master Planas is having us do those, but in Infinite Insights #5, Grandmaster Parker lists the other three on his yellow belt requirements. It's funky...

I really like Intellectual Departure. I like the whole move out of the way to redirect thing, and I love the kicking. I find Spreading Branch the hardest to execute. I have trouble hauling people over so that I can knee them in the face.

Aggressive Twins pretty much just rawks. :D Do you do the spinning back kick on the end?

Yellow Belt:

Deflecting Hammer

Alternating Mace

Sword of Destruction

Deflecting Hammer

Captured Twigs

The Grasp

Checking the Storm

Mace of Aggression

Attacking Mace

Sword and Hammer

We've started teaching Aggressive Twins, Spreading Branch, and Intellectual Departure to our adult advanced class (blue and up).

Ed Parker

MY STYLE IS SKK, LINEAGE VILARRI. I LIVE IN SOUTH LOUISIANA, "KATRINA" COUNTRY, AND THE NEAREST VILARRI

DOJO IS IN FLORIDA. I AM NOW LEARNING THROUGH THE "DISTANCE METHOD", DVDS. SO FAR SO GOOD. I HAVE SOME BACKGROUND IN JUDO FROM MY EARLY YEARS, BUT ALWAYS WAS ATTRACTED TO

KARATE.

I HAVE JUST APPLIED FOR MY FIRST BELT ADVANCEMENT, FROM WHITE TO YELLOW. SO AS YOU CAN SEE I'M JUST GETTING STARTED, BUT SO FAR LOVE IT. I WAS HOPING TO EXCHANGE WITH SOMEONE IN THE VILARRI SYSTEM. :karate:

Edited by Hisgracecase

John 3:16