• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo/Kempo Roll Call

Red J

OK, we seem to have a good base of kenpoists so lets get going.

Delta1 and myself have been kicking around the idea of finding a "home" forum. Since we do not have one ourselves we will be using the "karate" section. There may be more in the works, but for now we are here.

To start off please post your kempo style and lineage. We will be adding topics soon for all to respond to.

I practice Shaolin Kempo. The lineage is Villari, Cerio, Pesare, Gascon, Emperado, Chow.

You will notice that most Kempo systems came from the Chow lineage and split into either west or east coast styles. Shaolin, which has heavy Kajukenbo influence, is a predominantly east coast style.

BTW, don't get hung up on saying kenpo or kempo, I think we all will know what you mean and will respect your choice and style.

Who's next?

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right!!!

RedJ & myself have checked with Patrick, and this is ok with him. For now, he suggested trying this on the Karate forum. If we getenough good, meaningful, positive input here, we can discuss the possibility of our own slot at KF. It's not a given that we'll get it- he has to ballance available space, costs, and who knows what else with the bennifits of a new forum.

Let's keep it clean and respectful, and keep it comeing!

Edit: let's start prefixing our topics with KEMPO: so that our posts can be easily spotted!

Edited by delta1

Freedom isn't free!

My base is American Kenpo (AKTS)vand Chinese Kenpo (IKCA). Both are Parker based systems. I've also trained and worked out with many other systems and stylists, and have a tremendouse respect for all martial arts (though some martial artists and schools may fall short).

In talking with other Kempo stylists, and working with a few, I think there is a lot of similarity. One of the things I hope to get out of this experiment, and later maybe our forum, is to be able to compare what we do and get a different perspective on things. AK is what I like best, but that doesn't mean I can't learn from the other guy! My opinion of the Kempo family of arts is that they are extremely adaptable, have excellant flow, and a minimum of wasted motion- and of course they are effective.

Freedom isn't free!

Well, I'm not sure if I belong in this catagory or not, but up until maybe 5 years ago or so, the system I practice was Shorinryu Matsumura Seito (orthodox branch) Karate....not Kenpo.

However, there were an ever increasing number of Shorinryu organizations out there claiming this and that, so the late Grand Master Kuda Yuichi changed the name...because we have Chinese Kenpo roots...to Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo.

Our linage is Soken Matsumura to his grand nephew Soken Hohan, to Kuda Yuichi, then to various instructors that I have had..including Denny Miller, Greg Ohl, James Knoblett, and Larry mason.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I practice Sasori Te Kempo and did practice Ryu Kyu Kempo ( Now called Ryu Te Renmei ) which is Sensei Oyata's lineage of Okinawan Kempo. This is basically from the Shuri Te lineage as well. We place an emphasis on kata analysis (bunkai and extensive oyo), tuite and kyusho jutsu. We don't believe there is any wasted movement in kata nor should there be when practicing self defense. I'd be happy to discuss this in more detail in a kempo forum.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

We don't believe there is any wasted movement in kata nor should there be when practicing self defense. I'd be happy to discuss this in more detail in a kempo forum.

Our philosophy also.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

so the late Grand Master Kuda Yuichi changed the name...because we have Chinese Kenpo roots...to Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo.

We'll claim ya!

We place an emphasis on kata analysis (bunkai and extensive oyo), tuite and kyusho jutsu. We don't believe there is any wasted movement in kata nor should there be when practicing self defense. I'd be happy to discuss this in more detail in a kempo forum.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

Freedom isn't free!

I'd be happy to discuss this in more detail in a kempo forum.

'Tis our goal. Thanks for adding to the thread. :D

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Ryukyu kempo - Okinwian I first studied in OYATAS linage, now study in Tom Muncy/ Rick Moneymakers linage through the Dragon Society.

What Sasori Te posted applies to my Kempo as well

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

My style is American Kenpo [aka. Parker Kenpo]. Our lineage, I don't really know yet, although I did briefly study at a school in California run by John Sepulveda who recieved his black-belt directly from Ed Parker. However, as I only made it to Yellow belt there, I never actually had a class run by Mr. Sepulveda. His black-belt instructers however were very very good! I didn't know it at the time, but my very first sparring experience [in my very first Kenpo class ever] was with Larry Beltramo, who it turns out is a world-champion in sparring. So now, now I figure, no matter who I spar with, or how bad they kick my butt, I can always say, "I've sparred with better!" haha.

It'll be great to get the Kenpo/Kempo guys to come out of hiding here!

There should be some great knowledge transferred, and I know I sure need as much as I can get my hands on! :)

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie