• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Big Bellied Masters

Easy for Bruce Lee to say, he never got past 35 and was inredibly skinny to begin with.

For some people, after they've reached a certain age, it's not just possible to be slender or in great shape anymore. Especially, like MR mentioned, if your metabolism slows down. And if you're an endomorph (a person who's, basically, genetically a bit more "hefty") it's just not going to be that easy.

That explination is way over used.

Age, yes slows down your matabolisum, but that is a small obsticle. As for genetics, thats almost total *, its true some genes make you more likly to be large, and maybe adapt fat cells easyer, but the only thing keeping you fat, is your intake being larger then your output.

EVERYONE can be skinny with enough training.

Sorry im kinda steamed, just tierd of kids in my HS, complaining there fat, but have tryed everything next to workingout and eatting right :/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with some of the others here on this one. Age plays a huge roll, now there is a difference between the age factor and just letting yourself go.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

most martial arts aren't particularly physically intensive. And actually - they aren't meant to be - they are teaching you to defend yourselves, not to get in shape. A street confrontation should last no more than 10 seconds, ideally. consequently, you don't have to be in shape to fight. I've seen some non-trained, overweight bouncers that could probably rip a hole in most people on this forum - because they fight. it's what they do and they don't have to be in shape for it.

That said, if you want to be in shape, I wouldn't depend on your MA alone to get you there unless you are training in a competition MA - training in MT, for example WILL get you into shape - you are training as if you have a fight coming up - and if you fight, you will have one coming. You have to be prepared for it. sport fighters fight for durations longer than you see in the street, so they need to be prepared for it.

Another thing to consider is age. Once you pass 32, your metabolism will begin to drop ( I hope I stay 26 forever! :D) if your metabolism slows and your diet isn't proper, you will start to gain weight, unless your fitness regimen is such that you are burning more calories than you are consuming, which in many instances isn't the case.

As for genetics, thats almost total *, its true some genes make you more likly to be large, and maybe adapt fat cells easyer, but the only thing keeping you fat, is your intake being larger then your output.

EVERYONE can be skinny with enough training.

skinny? no. In shape? yes.

http://www.geocities.com/kalistawarrior/sevenstar.jpg

that's a pic of me.... I am over 200 lbs. due to my genetics, I will NEVER be skinny - I'm a mesomorph, I can't get at little as an ectomorph could. On the same token, they will never be able to become as big as I am able to get.

Looking good SevenStar. Trust me, skinney isn't all it's cracked up to be, unless you're a female super model. I used to be 'skinny' in my younger days. When playing sports it was difficult to keep up with the bigger (not fat) guys. I'm 5'11' and 170 lbs. I like competing at 165 lbs. I wouldn't want to go back to 145 - 150.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I'm leaner at 33 then I've ever been in my life. That includes my 4 years in the army during my early mid 20s. I used to beleive that some people just are meant to carry excess body fat no matter how hard they work. Ketogenics(sp?) works! Overuse of Carbohydrates is the culprit. As long as you are not forcing your body to use fat as a source of energy it's just gonna keep storing it. So as long as you carb up before and after exercise, you ain't burning the fat.

Unless of course your one of those people that don't get fat no matter what.

So as long as you carb up before and after exercise, you ain't burning the fat.

From my personal experience, there are times I had to carb up before a workout, simply because if I were to run out of gas, I wouldn't get a good workout. Working out isn't just burning fat, it is strengthening the muscles too, and your muscles need food to perform. You will "hit the wall" if you try to rely on stored fat to power you through a good workout.

I think people get confused because of the energy bars and carbo-liquids they see on the shelves and think they're for working out. I would agree to a point that if you're working out to lose body fat, then ya, it isn't helping to carb up before and after a workout.

Competitions and endurance tests are where I find carbing up to really help immensely.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

So as long as you carb up before and after exercise, you ain't burning the fat.

From my personal experience, there are times I had to carb up before a workout, simply because if I were to run out of gas, I wouldn't get a good workout.

Competitions and endurance tests are where I find carbing up to really help immensely.

I agree with you 100%. I'm at a point now that I do slightly carb up a few hours before training. It's taken me a while but I have pretty much figured out about how much I need to get through a good workout but not go overboard.

I can tell you this though. If I'm getting to a point where my 38" waist pants are getting tight, then my workouts are gonna suffer. Because if I don't force my self to go through the workout just burning fat, it ain't gonna go away for me. And you can really tell when your body is using fat as energy. Like you said, you hit a wall. It isn't easy to continue, but it's the only way for me to cut the fat. Once I'm back down to 34 to 36 inch waist pants, I eat enough to have solid workouts. I just go through the week trying to cut the carbs when they are not neccessary and use them when they are, instead of following some government menu telling me exactly what to eat each and every day.

And beleive it or not, I eat quite a bit of fat during the day. I'm not good at starving myself. Most of the fat comes from cheese and natural peanut butter. It fills me up so it's all good. It took me a long time to convince myself to adapt this way of eating since I grew up with the low fat, high carb government backed dietary requirements being preached to me. But I'm sold now.

And back to the point of the thread, I used to have a hard time taking anybody who was overweight teaching physical fitness of anykind seriously. But I've witnessed to many people like that over the years smoke others that looked much better in everything from running to sparing.

if you see buddah on the road kill him

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi