• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chinese Kempo and others.

MenteReligieuse

My kwan also teaches other MAs like Kempo Karate. What I have been told is that this karate is insipired by chinese MA.

What are your feelings on this art? As good as okinawan styles?

What is the difference between chinese kempo and amercian kempo (Ed Parker?).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We could be here all night! :)

I'll try to give a short answer (sort of). All the Kenpo/Kempo systems that I know of trace their roots back to Chuan fa, or Chinese fighting arts. There are Japanese, Okinawan, Hawaiian, and American versions. But all (as far as I know) have a lot in common. All have excellant flow, little or no wasted motion, and use all the bodies natural weapons.

One of the big differences in AK and Okinawan Kempo that I've seen is that the Okinawan systems tend to have a lot more flow, where AK tries to ballance it out a little more with hard moves. Not too sure, but I think the Japanese systems also have hard moves. Also, several systems focus more on joint locks and pressure points, throws and grappling. AK has these, but they must be extrapolated from the techniques. There are some AK systems that focus more on these things. One, SL-4 Kenpo, is heavily into internal principles and cavity strikes.

Now, to really confuse you, some of these systems went from China to Okinawa and then to Japan. Some came to Hawaii via different routes and were mixed and modified. And there is one Chinese Kenpo system that is based on AK.

As for EPAK (Ed Parkers American Kenpo), it is in many ways a completely different animal to anything else (while still having a lot of similarities to just about everything else- confused yet?). Ed Parker's base was Chuan fa. But he also studied many other arts, and was allways working with and learning from other stylists. He broke everything down to basic principles, cataloged the concepts, and came up with a system that is a different composite of his extensive knowlege. I've never said AK was best for everybody, but it did fill a major hole in the martial arts where westerners are concerned. It is developed to be learned with the western mindset. It is also a heavily oriented to street self defense, though it has offensive moves also.

There are other offshoots of AK. I believe White Tiger is one there's a WT school in Reno that is primarily AK based. And to really confuse things, some systems have added Taiji, Chin na and Shui Jao and went back to calling their system Chuan fa!

So, if you aren't confused, it's ok. I'm confused enough for the both of us! :-?

Freedom isn't free!

That was a very good synopsis Delta1. I have a friend in Tempe, AZ. with an American Kempo school called the Arizona Ch'uan Fa Society. It's a good school although a little commercial for my personal taste. I say commercial, but he's been teaching in that location for 12 years and has about 5 black belts so far. It takes an average of about 6 years to hit the dan ranks in his school. His students are very solid. You can view their website at https://www.acskarate.com .

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I have a friend in Tempe, AZ. with an American Kempo school called the Arizona Ch'uan Fa Society.

Master Fisher? I've heard of him, but never had the pleasure to meet him.

I think he teaches Taiji and AK, but a different set of techniques from the standard curruculum. May teach some other stuff too. I'll check out his site. Thanks!

Freedom isn't free!

You know Ray Delta? Or of him? He teaches quite a few different things at his place. i was introduced to him about 6 or 7 years ago by sensei Mike Wall, who teaches RyuTe Renmei in Phoenix. We went to a Goju Shorei Weapons seminar to learn more about the cane. That is where I first met Sensei Dave McNeill also. I was his uke for that particular seminar. He was still part of the Cane Masters org then. A year or so later I became a personal long distance student of Sensei McNeill and he directed me once again to Sensei Ray Fisher. Ray has been a teacher and a friend ever since then.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Just know of him. Heard some good things. Some don't like it because he reworked some of the learning tools (something about a 'Wheel of Knowlege'?). But I've heard his students know their stuff. I say, if that works better for him, more power to him! Mr. Parker never said he wanted to leave a static system as a monument to himself. He wanted to leave students that could handle themselves as well as think for themselves!

Freedom isn't free!

There is another Hawaiian Kempo that is part of the Family style of the late Daniel Pai , Pai Lum Kung Fu .

also Ed Parker worked on the Pai family ranch in Hawaii and was taught along side Daniel by Daniels grandfather for how long I do not know. I belive it is refered to as White Dragon Kenpo in the PAI LUM KUNG FU SCHOOLS.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

I'll try to give a short answer (sort of). All the Kenpo/Kempo systems that I know of trace their roots back to Chuan fa, or Chinese fighting arts. There are Japanese, Okinawan, Hawaiian, and American versions. But all (as far as I know) have a lot in common. All have excellant flow, little or no wasted motion, and use all the bodies natural weapons.

Good generic answer for the masses! I believe that most of the systems that use Chinese or a Chinese name associated with Kempo, are merely emphasizing that influence in that particular style.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Good generic answer for the masses! I believe that most of the systems that use Chinese or a Chinese name associated with Kempo, are merely emphasizing that influence in that particular style.

That's me! A generic mass poster! :)

You are probably correct. But I think the IKCA also wanted to set their system apart from EPAK, though they make no bones about being EPAK based. Mr. Sullivan and Mr. LeRoux started the system with Mr. Parkers blessings, but I don't know if this was discussed with him or even whether he might have asked them to do it. Even for so recent a system, there is a lot of history that has been lost.

Freedom isn't free!

Well, Shaolin Kempo emphasizes the 5 animals of Kung Fu when thinking of mindset and techniques. The animals are tiger, leopard, crane, snake, and dragon.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.