• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok everyone, Your system, your foundation, and if your open.

This is the second time that posts have been pruned from this discussion. Please keep this on topic. Ones background is not open for disscussion on this board. Everyone can have an opinion but this is not the place to question someones history in the MA's.

Thanks in advance for keeping the discussion civil and on topic.

Greg

KF Sensei

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Sensei Kirk, thank you very much for addressing this issue, I personally never doubted him.i feel his level of martial art through his posts ,I often address him as sensei and very honored to be a friend of him although we never met. I always tell him that if one day I come to north for a visit ,his place would be on my list.

Edited by P.A.L

Alright back to the topic:

Ive been practicing Go Ju Ryu Karate under Sho-Rei-Sobukan for 4 months and i love every minute of practice. When I was 9 going on 10, I di a month or so of shotokan karate, but it turned out the club i was going to was a sect, so my mom kept me out of it...and out of MAs. I felt sad but understood her reasons. I kept practicing what i had learned tho by myself for some months then got out of the MAs World. Here I am 10 years later, im at 9th kyu and hopefully i will be able to stay for much longer.

Thats it, i havent been in it for long but im enjoying the ride.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

-----Jules again----- Thank you for reading my Master's posts........

A sect ????.....what...like some kind of brain washing kinda thing ????.....just watch out for the "Kool-Aid"......

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

A sect ????.....what...like some kind of brain washing kinda thing ????.....just watch out for the "Kool-Aid"......

I know right? it seems so unreal, but i think back at that time there was enough indications to believe that, so my mom just pull me out of there without thinking any further. The owner of the dojo was a very active member in a sect or something like that if i remember correctly. What they did in there other than karate, i dont wanna know.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

I hear ya man.....next thing ya know....youll be dressed like a monk selling flowers at the airport...lol

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

• 3 weeks later...

1st Degree Cho Dan - American Tae Kwon Do (Chang Hon) ITF. Started training under the tutledge of Mr. John Graden, Mr. Joe Lewis, Mr. Bill "Superfoot" Wallace at USA Karate in St. Petersburg, Florida on November 10th, 1993, at age 41. My known Katas/forms as follows:

Tan Gun - Legendary Founder of Korea

To San - Philosopher & Educator

Yul Kuk - Confucius of Korea

Toi Gye - Pen name of a Noted Scholar

Choi Gye - Iron Horse

Hwa Rang - Korean youth movement to reunite the 3 kingdoms of Sila

Choong Mu - Admiral of the 1st Korean Armored Battleship

Kwan Gye - 19th Emperor of the Koguryo Dynasty

Bat Sai Dai (Major) - Breaking through the Fortress

Competitions/Tournaments:

1999 PMTA Gold Tour, Orlando, Florida - 1st Place Executive Men's Classical Forms

1999 US Open, Orlando Florida 1st Place - Executive Men's Forms

2003 5th Annual Suncoast Open, Clearwater, Florida - 1st Place Executive Men's Forms

2004 GSO Open Bradenton, Florida - 1st Place - Executive Men's Traditional Forms

2005 US Open, Orlando, Florida - Did not place – Executive Men’s Black Belt Traditional Forms

Martial Arts Affiliations:

North American Sport Karate Association (NASKA)

American Martial Arts Union - Dr. Jason Hunt (AMAU)

World Black Belt Bureau (WBBB)

American Karate Association (AKA)

United States of America Dan Registry (USADR)

I've also had in training shootfighting and Shotokan Karate.

I'm open to and respect all systems, there's a cover for every pot :D

I also slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night :roll:

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

This'll be short but here it goes...

I have about a year of Kung Fu San Soo, and in my school you earn belts yearly...So i'll be recieving my yellow belt next month. This is not the only system I've stydied under though, I've also trained in Shotokan Karate but I felt it was insufficient so I researched and found San Soo and at this point in time...I'm only open to chinese arts, and some fluid arts. I don't belive in sparring anymore or really hard/direct styles. Thats just from my experiance...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

I am a Nidan in Kyokushinkai. This is my base art. I studied it for ten years, and was an assistant instructor for more than five of those years.

I have the kyu (or its equivalent) in aikijutsu, kenjutsu, taijutsu, TKD, southern shaolin style gungfu.

I guess you could say that I am very open to learning new methods to defeat opponents in the ring, or on the street. I am open to all Martial Arts.:)

OSU!

I've been postponing putting my info for a while, but what the heck.

My dad is a Black Belt in Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do, he went to class with his father-in-law (my grandpa). From what i've been told, i always mimicked his movements as a kid, so on my sixth birthday he started teaching me. By this time, we had moved away from the town in which his dojo was. We mailed in a video of my yellow belt test, then drove for a the next couple of belts. By the time i was a green belt, we moved here - Ardmore, OK. We started attending a Chang Hon Tae Kwon Do school ran by one of the greatest Instructors i ever trained under. Then he hired an Instructor to teach the children's class. One day we were told to start ajourning at a different locality. After that class shut down (blue belt) we went back to the first school. We were told to never return - appearently the Head Instructor and children's Instructor split after a dispute, since we 'sided' with the latter, we weren't welcome anymore.

This started our journey to find a dojo that we could stick with which led us through about 8 different dojos (by we i mean my dad, brother and myself). At that first dojo i made a friend, albeit a much older friend, David. Seemed like every class that we attended that got shut down for whatever reason, we would see each other at the next one. The week before my brown belt test, we showed up to class to find a note on the door saying the dojo was closed. I attended the test without an Instructor anyway as it was a large group test.

After that, we found the Chickasaw Nation Martial Arts. After attending for six months, the Instructor promoted me to 2nd Brown and had me start teaching classes sporadically - i was 13. After another six months, i was ready for my Shodan test, i recieved a concussion at a tournament and the test was postponed. After the short postponment, i passed, making me the first Jr. Black Belt in the four school organization. Shortly thereafter, we travelled back to my dad's school where i passed the 1st Poom (jr. Black) test in Moo Duk Kwan TKD.

My parents opened a school and i taught the classes. I also had guest teachings at several other schools in the area and taught private lessons.

Since then i have been promoted to 2nd Dan in Moo Duk Kwan TKD and Nidan in the Chickasaw Nation Martial Arts program (mostly American TKD with others). I begged my Instructor to stay an hour late with me everynight for private lessons in Kenpo. I reached Brown Belt before he moved.

Since he moved, i have taken the last four years off of attending classes to reflect on my learnings. i have been reading as much as i can about other styles and refining what i have been taught.

Someday soon, i hope to get off of the evening shift at work and find another decent dojo, or open my own.

Thanks to everyone on here who has given me insight in one way or another. This is a great place for great Martial Artist to share their ideas and experiences.