• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok everyone, Your system, your foundation, and if your open.

i train traditional goju-ryu karate we are affiliated with the JKF Japan Karate Federation, Goju-Kai, and GenBuKan. We train really traditionally but be sometimes mix in some other stuff, our teacher encourages us to have a central core art and to allways train it and also to build around it. I am a Nidan-ho or a provisional secound degree black belt.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warlock, I 100% agree. What's better than experience and training? 25 years of dedication and taking pride and having the love for the arts you studied. It's sad that because you don't have a belt or as my sensai does claim to be a "master" you don't get the credibility you deserve.

My thoughts on being a Master. I feel you can't be a master at the Martial Arts. Yes, it would be nice to be considered one some day. But how can you be a master when theres so many systems, paths, ways, and journeys?

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

• 2 months later...

I train in Kajukenbo!

One of the founders of the system, Sijo Adriano Emperado, told his students that if they see something that they like in another system, to add it to their style!..........I follow his advice!

What works works

Hey, thanks for bringing my topic back up. Keep this going.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

I train in Okinawan Shorin Ryu. More specifically, my system is Shorinkan Shorin Ryu under Hanshi Shugoro Nakazato, which is one of the main branches of Kobayashi Shorin Ryu. I am currently a shodan, whatever that means.

As far as whether or not my school is "open" or not, I would say "yes and no". We often have guests from other styles, mostly traditional-based arts that may teach a class every now and then or hold seminars. Plus the instructor (and me, for that matter) is friends with many students and instructors of various styles as well. As far as altering our teaching curriculum to add another whole style or loads of techniques, we don't do that for a couple of reasons. The first is, and I mean this without any trace of arrogance, our system is pretty well-rounded to begin with and contains a large amount of principles and concepts. We don't add techniques per se. Maybe a technique that I personally like from style X is practiced, but we really focus more on the principle behind it rather than the specific technique. While I say we don't fundamentally alter our curriculum, it must also be kept in mind that every one is always learning, including the instructor. The exact way he taught or did his kata this year is different from last year, the year before, or 38 years ago. (The same goes for me, minus the "38 years" part. And I believe that's how it always is.

My style is a big organization with rules and set ways of doing the kata (although there are always changes now and then), but it is made up of individual dojo with individual instructors with individual students. All these individuals draw on their experiences within and outside of the style. Many of these individuals also share information in between schools in my system and without the system. You get the picture.

No, it's almost never a short post from me. Unless I'm making a poor attempt at humor.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I train Hapkido under the Jin Pal Hapkido federation.

I'm still a white belt, but I love it so far. Hopefuly this is the beginning of a long life of martial arts :)

Like a midget at a urinal, I'm always on my toes

tomorrow I'll be a blue belt in IKCA Chinese Kenpo. I've also studied american freestyle karate, TKD, and some Muay Thai.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

I've been studing for a little over ten years. Hung-Ga is a traditional southern shaolin 5 animal kung fu style. The foundation of the system is a strong rooted stance & continous drilling of the basics. Not really a 'open' system - it's been around for more than 450 years. So the art has stood the test of time. Changes are made but must fit within the guidelines of the the style.

HG doesn't do tournament sparring well. We don't train to pull punches & the head is fair game during class sparring, so we wind up getting DQ most of the time. A strike should have enoungh power to stop the incoming opponent in his/her tracks. No point should ever be awarded for a 'tap' technique, unless beginner level. No we are not the 'cobra kai' :karate: