• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok everyone, Your system, your foundation, and if your open.

I am very intrested in white belt so any where I go I have my white belt with me ready to jump in , I have been around karate for many years ,my motivation? Bruce lee movies and my father’s gi(I always wanted to take over his gi). I’ve been lucky that I have had lots of friends in martial arts and practiced in their dojos on and off , officially these are my ranks

Shodan TKD

1st kyu Shotokan

1st kyu shorin ryu

4th kyu shindo jinen ryu

8th kyu BJJ

and you can’t be a Iranian and not to be a good wrestler.

trained but never been ranked in kyukoshin,judo and wado ryu.

I’ve been told to wear a black belt in shorin but I refused, my sensei is not into belt system that much after 3 years as white belt one day he gave me a brown belt and I guess now he can’t find a black belt in his closet and I have no problem stay in brown for many years until he finds one.

In shindo jinen ryu they gave me a red belt after six months and I was politely asked not to change their katas’ pace I did by leaving their dojo.

So far I enjoy shorin ryu with interpretation and execution of my new sensei.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool story, where are you from?

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

PAL is from Texas (clap clap clap clap) ;-)....deep in the heart of Texas.......

Me......Im from a planet far far away......

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I've been training a little over 4 years. I did Tang Soo Do for one year (5th gup), then moved :( I miss it very much. My TSD instructor was very open to other styles. He would actually learn stuff from other styles, make it his own (figured out the "why's" and "how's" of each technique), then taught them to us. He taught a bit of Thai boxing and Hapkido also.

I dabbled a bit in Jujitsu (no rank, just for fun). I did a little bit of Judo (soon to start up again .... hopefully). Still a white belt there. Dabbled a bit in Shotokan (no rank). Too bad that dojo closed. I would have went back there :(

Now I do TKD (3 years). I just tested for red (again LOL .... I attended two different TKD schools).

I am very open-minded to other styles. That may have come from my first instructor. This one isn't very big on cross-training :(

Anyways, someday I'd like to try Jujitsu again. This time actually get serious about it (no dojos here, though ..... bummer). I'd like to try some form of weapons art, also.

As far as competing goes, I'm not big on competing. I have competed a few times, though. I got 3rd in forms twice. I'm not big on tournament sparring. I think of it as tag LOL. Not ment to offend the ones who do like tag .... I mean, sparring :P I like it for the conditioning (getting hit, the work out, ect), but the point system and "target" areas for those points stink.

Laurie F

I've been training in Kuk Sool Won for about 12 years now. I'll begin testing for 3rd degree next month (should have started last summer, but I moved).

I've only competed in KSW sponsored tourneyments, which means I don't really like the sparring competition. It's all point sparring (score a point, stop, start over). I really liked the sparring I competed in at West Point, when KSW was still being taught there. It was 1- 3min round, no stopping, three judges keeping track of points landed, and take downs were allowed. That was fun, tiring but fun.

KSW is EXTREMELY closed as an art. Only the Grandmaster can change/ add material. I like that, as I can go to any other dojang in the world and see the same material being practiced.

Personally I am a little more open. I don't change what I've learned, but I seek to learn new ways to apply it than how I learned it. For instance, most of our techniques are taught standing up. However, I have sparred numerous times with some BJJ friends to develop ways to apply my techniques on the ground, in a wrestling hold, etc.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I am currently only training in one art: White Tiger Kempo.

wtKempo is a style of Kempo/Kenpo that combines other styles of Kempo/Kenpo (mostly Grandmaster Nick Cerio's) and jui-jitsu principles. I have been training in this art for 8 years and I achieved the rank of Shodan after 7. Also, because of the fact that the head of my system needed an instuctor, I've also learned a little bit of Kajukenbo (Sijo Adriano Emparado could now be considered my Master's instructor since he's the one who promoted my Master to 8th Dan). Also, a few of my instructors are training in Pekida-Tursia (pronounced: peck-ee-da-ter-see-ah; sorry if I killed the spelling) so I've learned a very little bit of that. Although I've only really trained in one art, I consider myself open to other styles' concepts and techniques and I hope to train in other systems when I get older.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

I've trained in WTF TKD for around 10 years, and just tested for my 3rd dan in December. I've also trained in Okinawan Kempo (Kubado) for about 4 years and hold a 6 gup. I very briefly (for one hour) trained in Kung Fu with my Physics teacher... weird story.... As for whether my school is open or not, we aren't allowed to attend another dojang while we are still a member. (I didn't tell my instructor about the one hour of Kung Fu :roll: :roll: ) Personally, I'm open to all styles.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

*sighs relief thanks to KSN Doug's pruning*

I originally began training sophomore year of high school with my best friend's dad in the American Karate System (AKS) founded by Ernest Lieb. I'm a friend of Shorin Ryu (a frequent poster I see) and trained in Shorin-Ryu for four years with him back in college (subsequently abandoning anything from AKS).

We fall under the lineage of Shuguro Nakazato in the Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan branch of Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu. I've never cared for rank (I don't wear it anymore), but if you're curious I'm a shodan...whatever that means. What Shorin Ryu says about the openness of our system is correct, though I am personally open to just about anything that works in real unarmed combat. I'm currently training in Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu under another one of Chosin Chibana's students by the name of Pat Nakata (if you're unfamiliar with our lineage, Chosin Chibana was Shuguro Nakazato's teacher as well). Recently, I've also sort of taken an academic interest in the internal arts.

Edit - If you read the earlier version of this, the first paragraph and the analogy have been withdrawn in light of the recent pruning.

Edited by Skeptic 2004

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

Well well "Skeptic2004", it's good to see you here. I must say I was rather surprised when I saw your post. Now you know one of the many ways in which I wasted my time back then and still do...

At least you can keep in me in check in case my head ever gets too big. ;)

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/