• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok everyone, Your system, your foundation, and if your open.

I know everyone puts their style/system in their prefrences, but I would like to know everyones. What grade/rank/dan you guys are, the foundations as a Martial Artist, and also if your open to all systems.

I'll start: My system is called Ken Bo Ju Ka Ryu. Ken=Kenpo, Bo=Boxing/chinese boxing, Ju=Jujitsu, Ka=Karate, and Ryu= the tree. We are also a traditional TKD with the hand system of it. We are an open school in which we tap into different arts along with the roots of our system. We do Philipino stick and knife fighting along with some of their hand movements. I personally am training myself in Capoeira, though I hope to find a mestre but nothing wrong with a head start.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st Dan in TKD Chung Do Kwan. Very traditional, but over the years we have added some grappling to our curriculum... I'm not sure what style our grand master gleaned the grappling from. We do not teach use of weapons, although we do teach incorporation the use of keys, pens, etc, in the use of self defense. and we do teach defense against weapons. My school is associated with the U.S. CHung Do Kwan Assoc. As an organization, I can not speak on how open they are as a whole, but in my own school, I enjoy having people from other styles come and work with us in different areas of training.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I'm a Kenpoist/Kempoist at heart. I hold the rank of 1st degree in my original art of Chinese Kenpo, and am currently a 2nd degree in my current system of Kara-Ho Kempo. Like many karate styles, we have forms and weapon forms, but our main staple would be self defense techniques. As far as being open, I consider myself to be such a person, while I maintain my base art. Currently I've been back to studying eskrima, sinawali, and decuerdas with my buddy :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

*edited to clean up my sloppy typos

The system I study is over here:

<---------------

As for rank...yeah, I'm, pretty rank after class. :D OK...OK..I have a rank or two in this system...does it really matter?

Am I open to other systems? I'm not sure I understand what you're asking there, but if you mean do I incorporate other systems techniques into what I do to make it better or to strengthen what I perceive as a weakness in the system...then the answer is a firm and definite...no, I don't. There is no need to. Why mess with something that works? You'll only make it weaker (in my opinion).

*let the crap fly over that last one! :D * :roll: *

Edited by Shorinryu Sensei

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Chinese and American Kenpo. Grey belt (matches my ghi). I've trained with, and am very open to a lot of different systems and stylists. I seem to be most open dureing sparing, if you must know!

Freedom isn't free!

Chinese and American Kenpo. Grey belt (matches my ghi).

My belt also matches the gi, it's white though :D

Shotokan Karate, white belt, my first MA. Am I open to other MA's? Nope, after 4weeks of Shotokan I have come to that conclusion that it's the only true MA out there.

- Musse

"Be careful: The toes you step on today may be connected to the * you'll be kissing tomorrow"

I am currently a yellow-belt in American Kenpo. If I get off my @ss and study the material, I should be able to test for my Orange belt in a few weeks. :) Aside from a brief period of TKD as a 5th grade magnet class, I have only done Kenpo.

At the level I am now, I could learn new things from any art. And I'm open to learn other ways, even if it's just to learn ways to beat it. :) Just kidding, I love learning new things.

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

I seem to be most open dureing sparing, if you must know!

ROFLMAO!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Thats my stuff over there

<------

Im VERY open to learn anything and everything I can......I love the study of traditional kata, and its hidden applications....I find that I slip into another world when practicing kata, and even during sparring/fighting, I tend to "dissapear" into a "zone". My favorite weapons are any edged weapons. Basically, I have been training for 31 years this month.....Martial arts has become to me, what I am, not just something I do. It is my passion, and I cant even begin to imagine what my life would be like without it. I love to learn, and teach, and I will train until I die (which I hope wont be for a long long time :-) )

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

1st Dan in Shotokan Karate.

5th Kyu (2nd grade) in Aikikai Aikido.

Currently working on 1st form in Wing Chun.

I've also trained in Kobudo, FSD (my karate instructors own system) and Goju.

I love the martial arts and I'm always open to trying new things and new arts. I'd like to train in the Filipino MA's at some point, as well as adding Kendo to my MA arsenal.

Tai Chi/Taijiquan also appeals to me, but finding an instructor in my area who actually teaches it as a martial art is like finding hens teeth...

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!