• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are You Afraid To Die?

Ahazmaksya

^ Nice explanation Jiffy... :)

To be honest; everyone dies at some point. May not be at the same time, but it happens. What is the point of fearing it when everyone else is going through it with you?

If you fear death, then you are afraid to die... Like Jiffy said; if it isn't fear, but something different you experience to death, then you re not afraid to die.

Think of it this way; you see someone close to you die. What would you feel? Sadness? Remorse? etc... Feeling fear only shows that you are trying to cling onto life for all it's worth... Hey! Life's too short to do most things! :lol:

If you keep death in the back of your mind, in any situtation, then you have nothing to fear... Not being afraid to die shows that you have accepted what is to happen, after all, it happenes to everyone; its our fate; no?

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great topic to discuss. Here is something to consider. We have stated how we feel about death and dieing, but what we don't know is how it will really effect us, how we will really feel about it, until we are facing it on our deathbed, or staring down the barrel of a gun, or being held at knifepoint, or how we feel when we start to see "our life flash before our eyes."

Honestly, this is when we will truly know how we feel.

This is a great topic to discuss. Here is something to consider. We have stated how we feel about death and dieing, but what we don't know is how it will really effect us, how we will really feel about it, until we are facing it on our deathbed, or staring down the barrel of a gun, or being held at knifepoint, or how we feel when we start to see "our life flash before our eyes."

In the words of Mr. Miyaki (KK, not real Miyagi)....

"Have Been, Do Know"

"staring down the barrel of a gun" - Been There

"being held at knifepoint" - Done That (twice)

PLUS had a car crash that could have easily been fatal, some how survived, also had a couple of very interesting motorbike accidents including coming off the road at over 100km/h.

At the time of these incidents, the idea of death (in some cases) entered my mind and instilled a brief moment fear until the survival instinct kicked in and made me focus on what I needed to do. On a daily basis though, I do not get scared by the idea of death. By my definition...

I was: fearing for my life/scared of dying (past tense)

I am not: afraid of death (current tense)

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

In the words of Mr. Miyaki (KK, not real Miyagi)....

"Have Been, Do Know"

"staring down the barrel of a gun" - Been There

"being held at knifepoint" - Done That (twice)

PLUS had a car crash that could have easily been fatal, some how survived, also had a couple of very interesting motorbike accidents including coming off the road at over 100km/h.

At the time of these incidents, the idea of death (in some cases) entered my mind and instilled a brief moment fear until the survival instinct kicked in and made me focus on what I needed to do. On a daily basis though, I do not get scared by the idea of death. By my definition...

I was: fearing for my life/scared of dying (past tense)

I am not: afraid of death (current tense)

You have experienced more than I wish to, that is for sure.

in my life i have experienced many things some of those things i'm not proud of but they happened none the less (hence my earlier statement). i do not want to die. i would like to watch my children grow.as well as i'd like to see my grandchildren. but when my time comes i hope i have the courage to face it as i have done before. the only difference now is i have much, much more to lose if i should face my own mortality. life takes you many places and life changes you in many ways. but death is also a part of life, therefore it could be said life prepares you for death. carpe' di'em

what doesn't kill you, still hurts like hell.

I don't think I'm afraid of dying... I'm just afraid of never seeing the ones I love again. I'm also afraid of going "downstairs," if you know what I mean.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Lets face it; everyone at some point in their lives must've been afraid to die... However, its when certain events that happen which change our mind about it completly.

I s'pose you can say that we are afraid of losing our way of life that we have grown accustomed to. Be it, money, home, family, relationships etc we are scard of losing it.

But in the end, as I have said before, we all die; we all live: its a cycle and to disrupt that cycle will cause something extremely horrible (not sure how to describe it as it hasn't happened before! :lol:)

It is our path that we choose will decide how our future will turn out (bit like fate/destiny) and once that has been chosen, we cannot change it.

There are events in my past life, which caused huge side-affects to my family, that if I could've change it, I would. I was near " deaths-door" in two of those events, and I wasn't scared. I felt happy, safe and secure; knowing that my family were there to see me before I left (however, the doctors got there first, and closed the door! :lol:)

And so now I wonder, looking back on those events, that I had the right attitude about death; not being scared.

Its only after that you've experienced something like I have, or others have, that you do really know if you are afraid to die... I know that I'm not.

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

You make a good point, Shui Tora. Only if you're standing at Death's door will you know for sure whether or not you are scared. I have had a near-death experience (at least to me it was), and I do know for sure that I was scared. I didn't (and don't) want to die. The main reason was simply because I felt I was young and still had so much I needed and wanted to do, and I wasn't prepared. I wasn't at peace. I wasn't done. I wasn't satisfied with what I had done with my life. That kind of thing will wake you up if nothing else does.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

^^ Definately a wake up call.

If you think you have nothing people, wait till it is taken away from you (or nearly taken away). Cherish what you have. Nothing lasts.

Remember: The only constant is change.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.