• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Differences in Basic Fighting Stance

Lead hand (right foot forward, so lead hand is right) at around upper chest/chin height, back hand around lower chest/stomach level. In time, they will find what works best for them and they can put their hands where they want to.

Hmm..I learned it the other way around...lead hand lower at stomach/chest, blocks whatever comes in, back hand at chin level...blocks whatever passed my lead hand. If I need to block low with my back hand, lead hand then goes up to chin level.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lead hand (right foot forward, so lead hand is right) at around upper chest/chin height, back hand around lower chest/stomach level. In time, they will find what works best for them and they can put their hands where they want to.

Hmm..I learned it the other way around...lead hand lower at stomach/chest, blocks whatever comes in, back hand at chin level...blocks whatever passed my lead hand. If I need to block low with my back hand, lead hand then goes up to chin level.

I know fighting ability will vary from person to person, not necessarily from style to style, but I have a guy, who visits our class from time to time, he was trained in TKD, but fights in the same kind of stance you just described, and I have a devil of a time trying to land anything on him. When I have practiced with this type of stance, I just can't comfortable... I guess it still comes down to do what works for you.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

yeah, that is the hand positioning that my new school uses primarily, seems effective for blocking, but throwing a jab when my lead hand is so low doesn't feel natural quite yet. ahh well, maybe another couple thousand practice jabs and i'll get it.

"I once thought that life was a mixed bag, now I know it's just a bag of all"

I like rear hand up. That way it is cocked and ready to deliver a reverse punch at any time. With enough torque from the hips you can knock a person down.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I have to say that my fighting stance varies to fit my opponent. Although for the most part I keep a fairly natural stance with one foot forward about 1 1/2 to 2 feet. hands open and relaxed, lead at chest height and rear at waist height. My knees are bent very slightly. I find this works very well for me.

I would descibe it as a high, very relaxed sanchin stance with loose hands.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

We don't encourage a "boxer" stance with both hands protecting the head, as the groin and knees are viable targets.

No-matter where you put your hands, you knees are still viable targets. We use our legs and footwork to defend against these types of attacks.

Were taught to cover the head with both hands a thumb away from our face. My sensi says its better to take a shot to the stomach then one to the face. Makes sense. But we practice all of these moves to manipulate punches and stuff for wheever they go, there really isnt that much blocking.

Mischievousjoe, I suggest you to read the Bruce lee's book "Tao of jeet kune do", it explains the idea behind this sparring posture you mentioned. The main thing in fighting stance is your comfortness and relaxation. About Jab, I guess you have to exchange it with quick back fist strikes.