• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being a Good Boxer and Muay Thai Fighter

Hi i have been training in muay thai since september...i am a white belt first tip so i have the boxing basics down...Heres my problem we spar in a rotation sparring atleast 4 different people. Everyone hits hard and good but we spar upper belts who are merciless i dont mind getting hit but i tend to get frightened at times and shut my eyes or blink too hard and when i get hit i feel hmm that didnt hurt i can take quite a bit before i feel i am dizzy. Everyone knows that new feeling when you are in the turtle all bottled up and you cant see too good and you get those devastating leg kicks. Is this a phobia i dont know my sensei feels i am aggressive maybe i am just not comfortable sparring other people i usually sparr my roommate so we have an understanding when we sparr. My main problem is i need to get out of my shell and realize that it doesnt matter if i get hit i dont know what i am afriad of. If i am confident to get hit why dont i just get punched and attack them aggressively. When i spar my roommate i am very aggressive and usually get good shots in. I know i am a beginner and this happens but those weird feelings only bring me down.

I dont know if everyone experiences this but i have desire to grow stronger now i just bought a 200lb bag to condition my shin, i guess its good motivation and i visualize fighting them but when i am up with them they are just so much more better i wish i could be myself and atleast try to give a good fight....Also any tips for become a good boxer would be great cuz sometimes i fight people who charge me and have more endurance they are hooking me right corssing me non stop its hard to break outta the turtle cuz your head is being pounded at times like this i cant think anymore.

I guess this is a really weird post i just got back from the dojo and got pounded real bad so i thought i would seek help. Also my sensei thinks i am good at this level he cant help me anymore than he is. I feel this is more of a personal problem. thanks again

Muay Thai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is the first time ive heard a muay thai gym be called a dojo, and the instructor be refered to as sensei.

But in answer to your question, the reason you spar is obviously to help you learn.

That means you recognise your mistakes and things you need to work on (which you have already done) and then next sparring session you work on that particular area.

In this case i think you need to work on attacking rather than being so defensive. When the guy comes in, attack. Dont automatically go to the "turtle" position. Jab and do a combo, or use footwork to get yourself into a position where you can attack him.

It takes alot of practise to become good. Basically what you need to think about here is: Movement and Attack is alot better than going flat-footed and covering.

Hope that helps, im sure other people will give you alot more information.

I'll keep this short and simple

It all comes in time!!!!

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!