• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

REflex Excersises

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Does anyone here know, or practice and techniques or excersises to train your reflexes? (having faster punches) If so, could you give me a couple pointers?

Thx. =D

Here's a pointer --------->

<-------- take two..they're small :D

The main thing I think that improves speed is hundreds...THOUSANDS of repetitions of the technique you're tyring to improve. The second thing I recommend is relaxing. Tight muscles are slow muscles. Be loose and relaxed even while throwing the punch/kick/block, and only tighten up just a split second before making contact.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Try shadowboxing with hand weights. Do your techniques with hand and legs weights. Running your forms with hand and leg weights can help too. To really increase the speed of your technique, really just takes a lot of practice... the more you put into it... do bag work every day, push yourself every day, and you will start to see improvment.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Basically, it's just fighting an imaginary opponent. Stand close to a wall, or in a corner, and imagine your shadow is you opponent, and just throw techniques as if you were actually in the ring. Its a great cardio workout too, if you really put some intensity into it. Stay light on the feet, and work your combinations... this is a great time too, to work on some of those combinations that you think should work, but maybe you just haven't gotten your timing down yet.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

The more you spar, the better you will become. The more people you spar, that are a higher quality (generally higher rank), the better you will become over time. Don't give up, try some of the suggestions you've received, and try to learn something every time you spar sombody, especially those that you consider to be better than you. Ask yourself why you think they are better, and then try to learn from what they are doing. Good luck, and let us know how you progress.

A way to imporve your reflexes that's really easy is:

1) Get a partener with 2 hand pads.

2) Design a set of punches in which you have to constantly move your hands.

3) Next, add in a specific part where your partner will try to hit you with a certain kind of punch.

4) Make sure your hands are up, or you punch that pad ^_^

What this does: While your doing this controlled set, your constantly reacting to your partener. Your reflexes develop even thougth you know what's coming.

Green Belt in Sullivans Kenpo Jujitsu

Asst. Instructor

My Instructor used to do some drills with us that helped our reflexes. He would have the student in question stand in the middle of a grappling pad. Then one or more other students would be given a specific attack - always from the rear. the first student would be given two seconds to defend him/herself. you should mention this to your Instructor, or just have a friend, a brave one at that, throw random attacks at you.

this will increase your reaction time.