• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several reasons I train:

1. it's fun. I played contact sports when I was younger and since I can't do those anymore, MA feels the void. Simply put, I like to hit people and having a willing opponent and someone who will hit back makes it a bit more fun.

2. I like knowing that if it comes down to it and I have to fight, hopefully I will be able to handle myself better than my opponent. :)

• 3 weeks later...

First and foremost, I do it to be able to protect myself and others should the circumstance ever arise. That is the reason I took it up and the reason I am still doing it.

Secondly, I enjoy it immensely. I love being physically and mentally active.

Apart from the actual training, there is a community of traditional martial artists that for the most part, are all wonderful people (not looking down on modern martial artists, I'm just talking about the people in traditional circles that I have met).

A more specific motivator is that I have/had excellent teachers that motivate(d) me to become better by their example of continual learning.

Another one is that after parting ways with my best friend (who trained with me in college) after graduation, there's no way in HECK I'll let him be better than me when we meet up again (a friendly rivalry thing).

I also tend to be a bit of a perfectionist in things that I care about deeply.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I do it because I love it. I get enormous fulfillment at the end of every session. I love the people I train with there, I love the fitness aspect, I like being in control of my own body, I like having something to do in the evenings instead of spending another mind-numbing evening in front of the box.

I have invested a lot of time, money and energy into my Karate, I'm not about to give up now!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum