• advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The timing varies, so no "rythym" can be developed....it really is a cool "toy"

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Umm thanx for the replys guys. Well I live in Canada and I know that somethings arent sold here dont ask me why.

I think after watching Rocky 3 with th Russian got me thinking about this and the kick from XMA. I know that Rocky punch was total Hollywood Macho Im Big Tough Guy * but i wanted to get the pad you are talking about it gives me something to shoot for in my punches and kicks

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

I bleive its

speed times wieght of object, divided by striking serface

i forget what units the wieght and speed are, most likly KPM, and grams.

that will equal your PSI (pressure per square inch) in newtons i bleive.

Speed times mass = momentum, not force

(though measuring momentum transferred can be useful too)

Pressure = force per unit area = Force / area (in SI, Pascals = Newtons per square metre)

I guess a way would be to have a non-deforming object hanging freely. If you know the mass of the object and you can measure how high it swings up to when you have hit it, you can work out the energy transferred by your blow.

Energy transferred by strike = Gravitational energy gained by swinging object = mass of object x gravitational field (10) x height gained

If you measure mass in kilograms and height in metres, your answer will be in joules.

It would be important to have a non-deforming object, because otherwise energy is going into deforming the object and not into making it swing up. To have any chance of accuracy you'll also need a partner to watch the bag swinging up so you can concentrate on delivering the techniques.

for PSI, you just need speed, and wieght. and *divided by area*.

you dont actuily have to hit anything. it can be done much easyer in numbers.

for psi you need the same as in si units.

how can you just do it in numbers? how will you know what hte numbers are?

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

for PSI, you just need speed, and wieght. and *divided by area*.

you dont actuily have to hit anything. it can be done much easyer in numbers.

For PSI ... pounds per square inch ... you need to know the number of pounds.

Pounds is a measure of FORCE. Speed itself does not tell us about force. Newton's Second Law of Motion tells us Force is equal to mass times acceleration. Acceleration is a _Change_ in speed. Something can quite happily continue at a steady speed with no acceleration, and therefore no force, occurring.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

You need to know how hard you hit.

You will need something to measure that if you desire to put an objective quantity. There are insturments for this.

For PSI, divide by striking surface.

If you want to know if your hits will hurt, go play with people and start rampingup power till it hurts or you can't any more.

It would be important to have a non-deforming object, because otherwise energy is going into deforming the object and not into making it swing up.

A non-deforming object hey? sounds hard, like steel? i think perhaps if you punched a non-deformable object as hard as you could your fist would deform badly and you would lose alot of energy :(

A non-deforming object hey? sounds hard, like steel? i think perhaps if you punched a non-deformable object as hard as you could your fist would deform badly and you would lose alot of energy :(

A small price to pay in the interest's of science!

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.