• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Warming up 5 year olds

well put angela, why can you not use games to sharpen skills????? I am from a very traditional school and when we are traing very young people you cannont expect them to stand in the same spot and do basics for two hours. You have to mix things up and keep them interested and if you have to trick them into training hard by using games then go for it. Were dealing with children here now of course my teacher is not going to hurl a dodge ball at me during a kata........... wait a minute :idea: why not?? It would probably sharpen my skills so who cares how you get better.

Oh yeah the sprained ankle............... sorry but dodge ball is much safer then three quarters of the other stuff that we do to train. :karate:

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nothing against games for the children at the beginning of the lesson as a warm up, or at the end as a treat if they have worked hard during the lesson. But they are always educational games that teach them to react, or avoid getting hit, or something else which will add to their overall karate training. The rest of the time they train in normal karate, but it must be understood that children are not mini adults and their concentration spans will not match that of an adult class!

So why rank them Black Belt?

Anyway, a 5 year old in the stove set a low should be a good warm up

I have nothing against games for the children at the beginning of the lesson as a warm up, or at the end as a treat if they have worked hard during the lesson. But they are always educational games that teach them to react, or avoid getting hit, or something else which will add to their overall karate training. The rest of the time they train in normal karate, but it must be understood that children are not mini adults and their concentration spans will not match that of an adult class!

So why rank them Black Belt?

I don't!! This is not the first thread where you have specifically said to me about young children being black belts. As I said before there are no junior black belts at my dojo. You know what though, I think there could be exceptionally talented 12 year olds that can get it. Think about it, if you start at 5 by 12 you have been training for 7 years, I know I wasn't some dummy at 12 years old. Most kids will not meet the grade to get a black belt but I still reckon that there are going to be the few exceptions to the rule, so never say never.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

No-the question wasnt "directed" to you Angela, it was thrown in the open "riding" your post.

Cool, was just checking you were paying attention ;). You did quote my post after all! :P

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Which was to atach the question towards anyone else.

BTW-I have no problem with anyone teaching for profit or the ranking system.

It just that it gets abused and "overated"

It's a sad fact of life... you will always find some unmentionable that wants to con peoples' hard earned cash away from them. It'll happen anywhere where money crosses hands!