• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that when warming up children the microwave works best :P

Do they ever get crispy that way?

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

mine exploded.

Maybe 50% power... like you were warming up left over chicken?

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

you know... I think I have taken part in turning this thread into a sickening (if not tasty) joke. :brow:

Back on topic:

I think changing up the routine will help keep the kids interested and excited about coming back. We'll play some different games that involve stretching, some running... anything that will get their blood pumping a little harder. There are a few games that they like better than others, but I try to use something different every couple of classes, just to keep it fresh.

Make sure you remove all of your schools sparring gear prior to placing students in the microwave.

Gears not cheap to replace

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Kids respond to imitating animals. Say things like cheetah and then run really fast in place. Squat down and ask them what does a frog sound like, then have them jump and sound like a frog. Make them pretend they are swimming across a river so they warm up there arms. Just remember that when warming up kids that it shouldn't be anymore than 5 - 7 min. Kids get bored and really don't need that much stretching. I've been to other studios and actually watched 15 - 20 min warm-ups. I almost fell asleep in the chair.

Wow, I have them to that per martial art animals, thus they also learn a method.

I use a little mimicking with humor

Dragon (with a humorous dragon face

Tiger (with a growl)

Whopping Crane (with a whoop-bird cackle)

Snake (hissing and turning)

Mantis (contest who can keep a forward-out the longest)

Eagle (crouching and flapping)

Monkey (monkey sounds and rolling)

Combined-these became a short-specialize warm-up set.

The kids LOVE it!

• 3 weeks later...

I worked with 3-6 year old kids. Its hard to work with them because they dont comprehend stuff as well and there bodies aren't well developed for certain things. However, my teacher does this (and I used it when I warmed them up) This was called hula knees: feet together, hands on your knees makes circles. Also, hula hips, "big yes" big no (with the head) and things like that. Warming them up is always the slow part of class

Good Luck!

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I worked with 3-6 year old kids. Its hard to work with them because they dont comprehend stuff as well and there bodies aren't well developed for certain things. However, my teacher does this (and I used it when I warmed them up) This was called hula knees: feet together, hands on your knees makes circles. Also, hula hips, "big yes" big no (with the head) and things like that. Warming them up is always the slow part of class

Good Luck!

So if they dont comprehend as well-why teach them MA?