• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

but I do not see how it can be more effective than something which is not sport oriented.

Muay Thai guys generally train harder and more often than most other martial artists because they are training for fights they know are going to happen. In the ring you learn what it feels like to get hit and to hit someone else.

If you are better conditioned than the other guy you have alot better chance of surviving, thats how it can be more effective than arts which arnt sport orientated.

they are conditioned to receive "legal" strikes....him him where they dont train for and they ain't better than the average joe.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

based on your job jodoherty i think you should take mauy thai its a very simple art to learn yet very aggressive and will get you in shape for fighting if you get into a kung fu school you will be a begining basics for longer than you needed. mauy thai is faster pace do to there not alot of flashy techniques and there very distructive. but as you progess id suggest you try a kung fu san soo or a grappling art that has a lot of levrages and joint locks takedowns etc cause you are more likely to come up on a fight and break it up that were you can use the levrages and joint locks it very hard put somone in a joint lock in a fist fight it take years to get that good. they have to grab you to put them in the positon effectively. mauy thai would be very safe at first you will like it but when you get advanced try a kung fu or grappling art you be well rounded.

they are conditioned to receive "legal" strikes....hit him where they dont train for and they ain't better than the average joe.

Like where?? groin? eyes? I'd like to hear how you condition these parts of your body. :lol:

This still doesnt change the fact they can hit ALOT harder than the average joe. :brow:

MenteReligieuse said:

Everywhere I go I see ppl worshipping muay thai (MT)...it's a sport (depending where you train, lots of strikes are banned). It's like boxing with kicks! (or kickboxing). They do have nice stuff, like their round house and all, but I do not see how it can be more effective than something which is not sport oriented.

hahahahaha!!! i take it you dont have much experience with MT. let me make this very simple for you, and dont take this as an insult, thats not my intention... but that lohan stuff, and that shaolin kung fu (ive done that before) is not preparing you for anything. even if you learn something, which i honestly doubt, go against anyone doing MT for as long as you have been training, even half as long, i garuntee youll lose. MT is the hardest most effective striking art in the word, just because they do it for sport doesnt make its practicioners less deadly. there are less types of striked taught than in your kung fu school because they arent concerned with a) what isnt effective, and b) what is less effective than what they do. the fact that it is sport oriented only makes them better because that gives them more experience in some very realistic fighting situations, and experience counts more than anything, and conditions them further. whos learning more, the guy who punches air all day and blocks imaginary punches or standardized drilled punches and formalized katas, or the guy whos actually in the ring blocking and punching a guy whos trying to do the same to him? in all honesty, unless youre some sort of super-human, theyd kill you in a fight.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

When was shaoling kung fu part of the argument? I wouldn't even recommand shaolin for someone who wishes to learn a MA for the sole purpose of self-defense. I'm not delusioned about my style. Note that I did not suggest kung-fu in my previous posts.

MT is intense, true. The practitioners get to be pretty fit and well conditioned. But on the technical aspect, is it the best thing to learn for defense in constrictive spaces (like a over crowded bar)? Greatly doubt so. Just pointing out that too many ppl think MT is the utltimate and that it is the best choice whatever the situtation is.

Edited by MenteReligieuse