• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your going to want something thats well rounded meaning that teaches you all aspects of a self defense situation. Look into some mixed martial art schools, jujitsu schools, BJJ schools. Your going to want to know how to get down and dirty if you have to, but you also need to remember that your using this as part of your job so you want to be able to handle these people with the minimum amount of force to get the job done. Make sure that the school you find focuses a lot on stand up techniques as well as the ground. Trust me you need to know ground techniques but if you can get the job done standing up then thats even better, especially in your line of work where they probably have friends with them and there is abviously other people around so you dont want to end up on the ground.

good luck

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

muay thai and/or brazilian jiujitsu! proven effectiveness.

if youre not a big guy, get on some steroids or something too. (not really, dont everyon yell at me.)

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Everywhere I go I see ppl worshipping muay thai (MT)...it's a sport (depending where you train, lots of strikes are banned). It's like boxing with kicks! (or kickboxing). They do have nice stuff, like their round house and all, but I do not see how it can be more effective than something which is not sport oriented.

Now I know MT used to be tought to thai warriors in "ancient" times. And it also has the traditional double swords. But unless you can find a traditional muay thai gym, and you really wanna learn something for self-defense, I wouldn't go for MT.

Everywhere I go I see ppl worshipping muay thai (MT)...it's a sport (depending where you train, lots of strikes are banned). It's like boxing with kicks! (or kickboxing). They do have nice stuff, like their round house and all, but I do not see how it can be more effective than something which is not sport oriented.

Now I know MT used to be tought to thai warriors in "ancient" times. And it also has the traditional double swords. But unless you can find a traditional muay thai gym, and you really wanna learn something for self-defense, I wouldn't go for MT.

Agreed. Kenpo is the way to go for effective real world situations in my opinion. It encompasses everything you would need in a real fight to come out alive, and in better shape than the other guy.

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

Hello all!

I am a new member to this webpage and I am currently not training in any combative art. I am a bouncer at one of the pubs in town and am constantly kicking people out for fighting. the last time i kicked a guy out he waited outsdie for me to get off and beat the bahjezus out of me. so now i have decided i need to learn how to actually fight! but i am a little overwhelmed with all the different styles that are available. so my question is what is the most effective style of the combative arts?

thanks a million

Jim

What pub and where is located?

I'm always shaking my head when I see someone post "what should I take?" questions. Isn't the first thing we need to know..what is available in his/her area?:idea:

I mean, what good does it do to recommend this system or that system, if it's nowhere to be found in his vicinity?

It just seems to be a logical (got my Spock ears on today) place to start if you ask me. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

but I do not see how it can be more effective than something which is not sport oriented.

Muay Thai guys generally train harder and more often than most other martial artists because they are training for fights they know are going to happen. In the ring you learn what it feels like to get hit and to hit someone else.

If you are better conditioned than the other guy you have alot better chance of surviving, thats how it can be more effective than arts which arnt sport orientated.

I'm always shaking my head when I see someone post "what should I take?" questions. Isn't the first thing we need to know..what is available in his/her area?:idea:

I mean, what good does it do to recommend this system or that system, if it's nowhere to be found in his vicinity?

It just seems to be a logical (got my Spock ears on today) place to start if you ask me. :D

Yes-how true? What good would any advice be if whatever is not available/

What do you have avail in you area?

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi