• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello all!

I am a new member to this webpage and I am currently not training in any combative art. I am a bouncer at one of the pubs in town and am constantly kicking people out for fighting. the last time i kicked a guy out he waited outsdie for me to get off and beat the bahjezus out of me. so now i have decided i need to learn how to actually fight! but i am a little overwhelmed with all the different styles that are available. so my question is what is the most effective style of the combative arts?

thanks a million

Jim

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the question that will be dabated until the end of time.

I've heard it expressed this way on this forum before... The best style is the one which you will commit yourself to learning. I can speak to Chung Do Kwan, a style of TKD, and say as far as combativness, it is probobly lacking in some areas. We teach a lot on how to avoid a fight, where in your career, that doesn't always sound like an option. There are other people on the forum with this career, and they, I'm sure, will be able to help you more in this area. Good luck!

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Look around your area for schools.

Moo Duk Kwan is pretty effective. (My brother takes it and can still whip me)

Krav Maga is good, just dont kill them.

Wing Chun is nice to learn as well.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

I would say Muay Thai. Not because its techniques/principles are more effective than other martial arts (but they're definitely effective) but because Muay Thai schools are usually very combat oriented and have a lot of contact sparring, which is what you're going to need. A bit of grappling (Brazillian Jiu Jitsu is great, from what I hear) would be nice, too.

Pretty much, what you're going to want to look for is a school that trains hard, has a lot of contact sparring and emphasizes on fighting.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

dunno if i'd go for Muhay thai...unless you find a real good school, else it will be very sport oriented (which isn't bad) so will be far from your job's reality (which is bad).

I fingur you'd want something that lets you train realisticaly in close combats (like very close). Like BJJ or Krav Maga (as previously said), something with alot of locks and pressure point applications. And something that you can start using ASAP (like MMAs....TMAs are very good but are harder to grasp at first)

MMA= Mixed martial arts. i.e. a combination of 2 or more styles of martial arts.

TMA= Traditional martial arts.

BJJ= Brasilian Ju Jitsu.

Boxing or kickboxing(muay thai) would probably be a good style to start off with, then if you find you need to learn more specific stuff like weapon defence etc. you can seek out further training in those areas.

TMA = Traditonal Martial Art (e.g.: shaolin kung-fu)

MMA = Mixed Martial Art (e.g.: ...hybrid stuff...)

Difference is in TMAs greater care is givin into keeping things traditional with the ancient ways. Whille MMA focus more on today's situations and training techniques. TMA are harder to learn perhaps, but have more depth in the long run, while MMAs will be easier to start in and apply.

BJJ = Brazilian Jujitsu : Has nothing to do with jujitsu really...it is elaborate ground fighting techniques (locks, some throws)

Maybe Jujitsu (standup and groundfighting + muchmore) would be more appropriate than brazilian jujitsu.

edit : I actually thought MMA meant modern martial art...

I don't know where you're from or what your community offers, but when I was bouncing I was studying Jeet Kune Do at the time. It workied out well for the job. Enough striking and grappling, as well as some nice dirty techniques to get you out of most scrapes on top. Good Luck mate, and i hope that getting whupped once dosen't chase you off from bouncing, some of the best times of my life occured while I bounced.

I would say find a good American Kenpo instructor.

(Ask them if they teach Ed Parkers system or not.)

Can get you out of most situations.

You may want to follow it up with some good grappling, and ground fighting arts (Brizilian Jui Jitsu). But American Kenpo is very well rounded, and should have most everything you need, and is very effective immediately.

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.