• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TaeKwondo, Lethal Art compared to Karate?

Since they are alot alike it will make it even worse. As the story goes the hunter who chases two rabbits catches neither. Training in more than one martial art before you have become proficent in the others isnt a good idea because you can get them mixed up and stuff liek that and other reasons but for this i will use that first reason. You'ed probably get the two mixed up just liek in karate class we have been studying escrima as well which i never really understand why but i trust my senseis and from what i can tell they are very wise even if they try not to act liek it so yeah, i'll just go by their instruction.

Focus

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TKD is much more like karate than it is to the older korean MA's which resembled chinese MA, i wonder if many of the korean TMA are still tought besides tea kyon, and korean wrestling

Fist visible Strike invisible

I don't think that there is a "pure" TMA style any more , the all inherited from each others one way or another

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Taekwondo and karate have many marked similarities for the simple reason that the founder of Taekwondo was trained in Shotokan JKA karate. But, TKD distinguishes itself mainly from karate because of its predominant emphasis on kicks. So, the question is: are kicks more lethal than hand techniques? A kick and a punch/hand strike delivered by one and the same person will show that the former has a more destructive force. But, generally the punch/hand strike which has greater popularity in Shotokan karate than in TKD has the advantage of being delivered faster, easier and more accurately aimed to a target by one and the same individual. Furthermore, a kick needs greater distance to deliver and make it effective, so close-in fighting or fighting in tight spots would be disadvantageous to a TKD fighter.

I can only consider TKD which depends mainly on kicks as more lethal than karate, when the test is merely damaging a non-responsive, totally immobilized or completely defenseless opponent. Otherwise, both TKD and karate will be lethal in the hands and feet of equally skilled experts who share equivalent physical attributes and characteristics. If exactly the original and a clone of the original would fight and one would be a TKD practitioner while the other is a karateka, my bet is that it will be a tie or a toss up.