• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TaeKwondo, Lethal Art compared to Karate?

How come when I watch tkd on tv they don't use that hands? Is it like soccer. hehehe

They are fighting for points, in that type of competition punches dont score very well in comparison to kicks.

I can (sort of) understand why they don't use their arms if it doesn't score very well (although kind of see it as a cop out) but I still don't understand why they don't keep up their arms to protect their body and head a bit, a kick to the arm is not likely to score - a kick to the head will so why not afford it some protection?

Nice note Angie, the arms are used for proteccion, a kick in a hand can hurt, but it`s not a point. Am positive that COI alaw to use a traditional TKD makees (protections) in tournament. Even using the legs for avoid points.

Cann`t push whit hands, but can do whit feet. Can punch a hook, straigt (basic suki) or upercoat, and if u can make some harm, it is a point, but is barely imposible becuz of the absolute no atcment to anythin but yourself, and the movement absorves all the power of the punch, meanwile a kick just has to impact clean to make a point.

Have i made my point? :)

The down arms is just for save energy. If he/she does that way, is bcuz is confident (or extraconfident) of the own skils, the fast that he/she, can move and cover or scape.

The other reason is the tecnic. The hit -n- run stile is too fragil, and the arm up can make the g-center uper than u need. Just up the arms while hit, then lower and run.

...I'd choose my karate though, because it means no crazy kicks that make me lose my foundation.

Did u realize the diference bteen Joe Montana and Dan Marino? Joe has injured in the column for having a real great fundation, Dan was never used a god fundation so he has never been injered that bad, bcuz when the line goes over his, hi is on the air, and the space, not his body, absoves all the defensive line. As in football; Joe is karate, Dan is TKD.

Relative to the absortion area, inverse the harm will be.

...this type of sparring is now usually called 'point sparring' and is found primarily in ITF dojangs, whereas the other style is known as 'olympic style,' but the problem I have with point sparring (where punches to the face are allowed) is that it is entirely light contact and any strike that is percieved by the referee as being too hard means a point deduction.

As the WTF-COI`s tournaments rules, the kick in the head or face makes 2 points

I have a question , in sport TKD can you block a kick using the chin ???

The Xtian way is not the better way to spar any MA! :o

Ok, the shin, i`ve read later, jeje! Yes, it does, doesn`t hurt 2much, but is my favorite, bcuz can charge ay kick fron this position, or just disturb the other one

Live your day as it is the last, think like gonna live forever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okinawan karates are so far different from taekwondo as to make no 'appropriate' comparison. Just because both have kicks does not make them 'same or similar,' any more than muay thai is compared to savate.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I have to disagree with you White Warlock, TKD is watered down version of shotokan with some Korean MAs based high kicks , how can it be that different ??? & as what jedimc said , karate and TKD share a lot of stances , blocks, strikes , forms ...... etc .

TKD is a Korean version of karate

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

personally, i wouldnt say TKD is lethal, over the years it turned into more of a sport than martial arts... :(
Yeah very good point, but then again, i still say it depends on the people fighting, what would be a good thing to cross train is TKD and karate

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/