• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TaeKwondo, Lethal Art compared to Karate?

lo..... chin block ---- didnt that hurt?

Not really , we do it all the times in my style . It normally hurts the attacker .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they wouldnt say it was agaisnt the rules.... personalyl i woulnt want to get kicked inteh chin.... do you mean shin???? asin your leg?

or CHIN as in the point of your head under your mouth?

ok, let me do this one more time!!!... the only person that should criticize Taekwondo is a person that literally KNOWS Taekwondo,not people that have heard about it . I have heard people in here saying its no good and they have never tried or have never tried hard enough in it and quit. my school does ITF which everbody knows is more the traditional style.I done full contact for 6 years. karate I can admit is pretty good, I will give everybody that but lets get real, TKD is almost the EXACT same as Karate, the diffrence is there is just more kicking in Taekwondo thats it in a nutshull.

Andrew

"Who Dares, Wins"

I find TKD is usualy more based on sport so some of the flashy moves that some people might think are flashy, are probabyl not practical at all in a real life situation.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

they wouldnt say it was agaisnt the rules.... personalyl i woulnt want to get kicked inteh chin.... do you mean shin???? asin your leg?

or CHIN as in the point of your head under your mouth?

Lol........ so thats why !!!!! My mistake , sorry .

I ment shin

ok, let me do this one more time!!!... the only person that should criticize Taekwondo is a person that literally KNOWS Taekwondo,not people that have heard about it . I have heard people in here saying its no good and they have never tried or have never tried hard enough in it and quit. my school does ITF which everbody knows is more the traditional style.I done full contact for 6 years. karate I can admit is pretty good, I will give everybody that but lets get real, TKD is almost the EXACT same as Karate, the diffrence is there is just more kicking in Taekwondo thats it in a nutshull.

Been there , done so , and I don't claim it's useless , it's just that SOME moves are flashy and useless in real situation .. Plus , TKD is not the exact same thing as karate , and what karate style are we talking about ?? is it hard karate or soft karate ??? shotokan , goju ryu or kyokushinkai ( or whatever ) . Must specify .

For instance TKD's roundhouse is slightly different than shotokan's roundhouse which is different than kyokushinkai's roundhouse .

again - depends on how you train in TKD - to address Menjo's point - you can train in TKD and not train for sport - there are dojangs around that practice full contact, and the training system is very similar to that of MT.

However i agree teh sport schools of TKD HUGELY outnumber the more SD oriented ones.

Now to address y2_sub i agree that TKD is not exactly the same as Karate as karate seems to cover too many variations in style to be a comparative to anything.

Secondly - tehre are flashy moves in tkd... but i think we all know [anyone thats done it for long enough] these moves are impractical - as i also say a lot you can learn a lot of things from these moves though.... i dont think anyone in their right mind would attempt a 540 reverse turning kick in a self defense situation.

Im sort of sitting in the middle here.... TKD like any MA CAN be effecitve.... however we seem to have become infected with a MASSIVE number of McDojos.

Separate from this the general view of non-TKDers of TKD is that it is sport oriented... this isnt true - just like with any MA there are sport oriented schools out there, just in TKD there is a high proportion..... probably because of the Olympics.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's because WTF TKD i.e. olympic style taekwondo is meant for sport. I saw school in korea training and they had a session, which they were punhcing, elbowing, and backfisting at each other. Funny thing is I hear people say this martia art and that martial art, but since I've seen taekwondo fighters in asia be successful against MT fighters I've come to the conclusion that it ultimately comes down to how you train and what techniques you emphasize.