• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TaeKwondo, Lethal Art compared to Karate?

That point you mentioned smr is totally wrong ... i don't think that someone who deserve to be a black belt , must be holded by his age , after all , it's not the age that matters .. plus , that may help that 'kid' to build his confidence ...

What I'm saying is that how is it possible that a twelve year old have the ability both physically and intellectually to be yudansha? Suppose it takes five years to reach shodan in a typical school training two or three times a week. The student had to have started when they were seven years old. There are exceptions, but most seven year olds I've worked with have not been competent enough to learn Karate at the same pace as someone in their teens.

The style might be made for kids to make it fun.
http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm saying is that how is it possible that a twelve year old have the ability both physically and intellectually to be yudansha? Suppose it takes five years to reach shodan in a typical school training two or three times a week. The student had to have started when they were seven years old. There are exceptions, but most seven year olds I've worked with have not been competent enough to learn Karate at the same pace as someone in their teens.

Well .. a 12 years old is not physically and intellectually able compared to an 18 years old .. but comparable to ppl from his age , he should be way advanced according to his 5 years of training , any way ... it's best to seperate sessions , 16+ , and 16 - ....

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

i forgot to say , taekwondo is not a complete martial art , how could it be a leathal art comparing to karate ???? after all , they don't have any kind of blocks

• 2 months later...
i forgot to say , taekwondo is not a complete martial art , how could it be a leathal art comparing to karate ???? after all , they don't have any kind of blocks

Uhm...excuse me?

TKD has much the same blocks as karate. High block, low block, inner and outer forearm blocks, palm blocks, knife hand blocks. I started in Shotokan, and when I switched to TKD, about the only difference I found was in the terminology.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Hi i was going through some old Guiness book of records and i looked through one of the them (australian edition, 1973) and i read the part about Tae kwon do being a lethal variation of karate, what do you think about this , back in the 70s they would of not known much about it, what do you think about Taekwondo theys days.

I copyed the whole part so you could have a read.

KARATE

Origins Based on techniques devised from the 6th century

Chinese art of Chuan-fa (Kempo), karate (empty

hand) was developed by an unarmed populace in

Okinawa as a weapon against armed oppressors.

Transmitted to Japan in the 1920's by Funakoshi

Gichin, the founder of modern karate, this method of

combat was further refined and organised into a sport

with competitive rules. The five major styles of karate

in Japan are: Shotokan, Wado-ryu, Goju-ryu, Shito-

ryu and Kyokushinkai, each of which place different

emphasis on speed and power etc. Tae kwan-do is a

lethal Korean variation on Karate, which has been

used for military purposes.

I never intended this article to be a karate vs taekwondo, i found the above in the guiness book of records that belonged to my dad and found this liitle article about karate and the part that mentioned tae kwon do, It interests me how the martial arts has changed due to westernisation and time and it seems that tae kwon do has changed or splintered into different paths,but it doesnt mean tae kwon do as a whole has been watered down as I myself has seen some effective demonstrations of self defence from tae kwon do, In my opinion there is no bad martial art. :)

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

what sort of TKD has no blocks - im just interested becuase i thought id seen all TKD styles, and ive never heard of the style with no blocks - -maaybe ur misinterpreting WTF olympic style with the hands down?

what sort of TKD has no blocks - im just interested becuase i thought id seen all TKD styles, and ive never heard of the style with no blocks - -maaybe ur misinterpreting WTF olympic style with the hands down?

Ok . Maybe that wasn't the correct expression to say .. What I ment is sport TKD has no blocks . Of course ,they teach the same blocks as karate but never actually use them .

so WTF sport TKD... sorry i hate when we all get generalised into one style.... lol

It doesnt have blocks becuase the rules dont favour them, and also i imagine any experience WTF TKDer would know to use blocks normally... but i agree i think it would be better to train in sports iwth blocks intact.

They are allowed, and do block, just not that often.

Sorry for the generalization , I guess it's because when one says TKD , he means Olympic style TKD , any way .. Not any WTF TKDer uses blocks normally , however , some of those guys do

I have a question , in sport TKD can you block a kick using the chin ??? I fought under TKD rules before but didn’t got a warning after using that type of block :-? !!!!!!!