• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TaeKwondo, Lethal Art compared to Karate?

Hi i was going through some old Guiness book of records and i looked through one of the them (australian edition, 1973) and i read the part about Tae kwon do being a lethal variation of karate, what do you think about this , back in the 70s they would of not known much about it, what do you think about Taekwondo theys days.

I copyed the whole part so you could have a read.

KARATE

Origins Based on techniques devised from the 6th century

Chinese art of Chuan-fa (Kempo), karate (empty

hand) was developed by an unarmed populace in

Okinawa as a weapon against armed oppressors.

Transmitted to Japan in the 1920's by Funakoshi

Gichin, the founder of modern karate, this method of

combat was further refined and organised into a sport

with competitive rules. The five major styles of karate

in Japan are: Shotokan, Wado-ryu, Goju-ryu, Shito-

ryu and Kyokushinkai, each of which place different

emphasis on speed and power etc. Tae kwan-do is a

lethal Korean variation on Karate, which has been

used for military purposes.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends completely on the school but these days tkd is mostly practised for sport which often means the development of some not so practical techniques. Same thing has happened with karate but to a slighty lesser extent.

Like i said it depends on the school so these days its very common to find schools that focus on sport and those that still teach the more traditional combat techniques.

In the case of tkd i think the introduction of the sporting facet has caused it to loose alot of its practicality.

Thats interesting. At the time the general public had no where near the information about the Martial Arts that they do today. :lol:

Its also interesting that they include the major styles popular in japan but

not Okinawa :P

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

I wouldn't trust that source, to be honest. For one thing, karate wasn't developed as this huge underground movement against oppression. It was practiced mainly by royalty, aristocracy, bodyguards and law enforcement. There is a whole lot more I could go into it, but it's been explained on numerous other karate history threads already (and I'm lazy).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

well imo tkd is a different perspective to karate. both styles are "lethal" if executed properly. but what do i know, i have only been into it for 15 years.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

I agree it all depends on the schools, and training methods but I have not seen many TKD schools that train very realistic and like someone else said thats due to the fact that they are training for more sport now.

Anyways I dont agree with it but thats only me.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Its true i guess it all depends on the school, a few months ago a first deg TWD came to train at my dojo, and, with all respect to him for being a blackbelt, he had alot of trouble performing the kicks in the basics, his punches were more like flicks and in sparing he didnt land many blows on me and im 3rd kyu kyokushin. I know were suppose to look at each art without too much critisizm and that each one has its faults but seeing students like that i don't know what to think... perhaps he was just a poor student as most TDK fighters are good at long range fighting but lack the skills to come up and fight close, as for leatha, i think all arts have "lethal" techniques if you can perform them right eg. shto to the temple or decending onto the sholder to break the collar bone

Was going to put a Masutatsu Oyama quote here but changed my mind, look them up yourselves

in my opinion tkd looses hands down to karate , as tkd is a lot of areial work which is no good on the streets but looks good on camera. As for karate which focus a lot of power / full contact / etc. ( 1 strike 1 kill )

Back when tkd first was originally a form of karate,it was created by a korean general who took concepts of..i think shotokan(?).During that time it was unamed and wasnt always fancy kicks and jumping around.Its just a sport...from 1950s to 2000's..it goes from military self defense to tv sport.Its hard to find the olden days tkd dojangs...where they use elbows and open hand attacks.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

• 2 weeks later...

TKD is developed from Karate remember - I think that source was grossly mis-informed.

Both of them can be lethal - Karate is supposed to be on strike-one "kill" as Shukokai2000 said!

But TKD has similar techniques. And as mentinoed depends on the focuse of it. WTF has evolved into sport more - ITF seems to have more real application - I may be wrong!