• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the block to the Muy Thai kick?

The one thing no one has mentioned is those guys blocked wrong. Their main body movements were probably about right but when the kick hits your arm you have to have your palm IN and your other hand up to lend support with the palm. If your palm is facing out you take the strike on only one bone in your forearm instead of spreading it out over both bones.

This is a great picture notice the position of the hands.

http://www.gfcmuaythai.co.uk/imagepages/correspimages/Dazahk2.jpg

Edited by WhiteShark

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, and picture as well!

Looks like the upward elbow block I talked about (which would put the palm in for a double bone block) with an inward heel palm added for good measure. Only difference would be that the upward elbow block is done with a clenched fist at termination, which would tighten the arm more and protect the fingers. Is the hand left open for a quick trap, or some other reason?

Freedom isn't free!

I'm pretty sure his hand is open because he isn't wearing gloves. Also keeping your hands loose makes your elbows much faster. Thai elbow techniques are always thrown with loose fingers.

The right hand catches the kick on the palm for a pass. Basically if the kick is a little short or you happen to be good at the technique you can accelerate his kicking leg past you and down to the ground. This will open up some good targets and often throws them off balance. if you aren't careful you will catch a spinning back elbow or fist. So be careful.

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^

Passing the kick is an interesting option. Kenpo thinks more in terms of creating angles, which is another reason I'd step the trailing foot away. It would give some interesting open ended triangles to attack into. But so would that pass (or hard parry). That's what I like about this forum- you can get some good perspectives on tackling the same problem.

Oh, and in Kenpo we allways stay loose until the moment of impact. I think most arts try to do this (with varrying degrees of success). Staying loose not only increases speed and reaction time, but power as well. But I'm going to have to think some on leaving the fingers out. It's possible that my way (making a fist) could leave the small bones in the back of your hand exposed a little more to dammage. Not too sure- I may see if I can find someone to kick me in the head a few times and work it out.

Thanks for the input.

Freedom isn't free!

Thanks for the picture and explanation WhiteShark, that looks good. I think you make a good point about them blocking wrong. I'm more of a visual person so it's difficult for me to see what people describe (sorry Delta1 but feel free to post any more links to kenpo clips).

For those who think the fighters who broke their arms trained in "tip tap" sparring, I can't say. But they were muay thai fighters. There were only two or three fighters who weren't. Again check their site http://www.mkmknockoutpromotions.com/news.htm

I'm pretty sure his hand is open because he isn't wearing gloves. Also keeping your hands loose makes your elbows much faster. Thai elbow techniques are always thrown with loose fingers.

The right hand catches the kick on the palm for a pass. Basically if the kick is a little short or you happen to be good at the technique you can accelerate his kicking leg past you and down to the ground. This will open up some good targets and often throws them off balance. if you aren't careful you will catch a spinning back elbow or fist. So be careful.

bingo. I was just getting ready to type that one.

Yes get out of the way-if one can.

Step in or jam-if one can.

Double arm block, even per pic-if one can.

One of my instructors had conditioned his arms so well, if you got your kicks blocked by him, you might has well been hitting a 2x4.

Funny thing-about the 2x4, it is almost a description on one of the methods he had used to condition his forearms.

And why not, those other fighters condition their shins?

When I first started taking Thai lessons I tried to hold firm with the Thai pads during kicking exercises with my partner. All it took was a few lessons with some pretty heavy kickers to realize I needed to allow myself to give a little with the kicks. It made the difference between feeling like my arms were going to break and not really feeling any pain at all.

A boxer that I had an opportunity to train with for a few months many years ago tried to teach me how to take punches like that also. He could let you swing at him with all your power and was fast enough to move his head with your punch.

So my point is if you have to get hit with it don't stand rigid. Let the blow move you enough to not take the full impact on your arms. If you notice in a lot of boxing matches when people get caught, it's when they are moving in on an opponent or just caught it a tight position getting hit. Try to stay loose and relaxed while keeping the hands up. Easier said than done of course. But if you train like that, it becomes routine.

:lol: Well said BadV, it reminds me of the old "I am rubber u r glue etc...." I was taught in MT to use the other guys attack as the springboard for your own. Flat feet means if u get hit it's gonna hurt, bent knees and balls of the foot mean u can absorb and spring back :idea:

Donkey