• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the block to the Muy Thai kick?

What is the muay thai block for a round kick to the face? I ask because I was at a muay thai event last year kumite shin-do in Tampa, fl. It was open to any style, but they were mostly muay thai fighters. Anyway two people got broken arms from high round kicks. They had their arms up to block them but the kicks broke their forearms. So what would a good block to that kick be?

I posted this question in another topic but I didn't understand the answer. Hopefully I can get a few peoples perspectives on this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Move! This is the problem with light or no contact sparing- it builds bad habbits. First off, either get out of the way or go in and jam it. But, since you asked about blocks, I'll answer mostly about that.

The definition of a block is to meet force with force to stop an attack. As you saw, in a clash between an arm and a leg, the arm looses! This is why I prefer the term 'recieve' rather than block. To recieve implies that you do something more. In this case, if you must throw op a 'block' to deal with a high kick, you should also start to move away from the force of that kick. It also helps to throw up a universal (double arm) block so you aren't taking it all on one arm. And you can trap off the universal as well.

If you are too late, and the kick is going to connect good, bring your arm up like an elbow strike, but close against your head. And you should still move away as much as you can.

Freedom isn't free!

Thanks for the response Delta1. I've heard to get out of the way or duck as a first option. When I thought about it I figured a two arm block (if you were going to block) would be best, but I didn't see anyone do it in the kumite. Although kicks face were rare they mostly kicked to the legs.

So is the double arm block the muy thai defense to that kick? Also I don't see how you would " trap off the universal". Could you explain.

Also the kumite was filled with muy thai and kick boxers so I don't think they trained with light or no-contact sparring. I went to the kumite again this year and the fighters jumped in and out a lot more. There wasn't as much contact, and i dont remember many high round kicks being thrown. I guess nobody wanted to hurt thier arms. Here's a link to the kumite's website http://www.mkmknockoutpromotions.com/news.htm the arm breaking happened in kumite IV.

So is the double arm block the muy thai defense to that kick? Also I don't see how you would " trap off the universal". Could you explain.

Some variation of the universal block is used in most martial arts I've seen. I don't know what the MT guys train really- I actually think that after a couple of years, the MTers just block with their head, as there's no longer anything there to injure! :P Just kidding, just kidding. Settle down guys! :D

From a Kenpo perspective (which is what I know best), the first thing you'd have to understand is 'stepping up the circle'. Say you are in a fighting stance, right foot leads, and he throws a right roundhouse kick. Step your left foot back to your 4:30 into another fighting stance. This gets you moving away from the force of the kick, and allows you to assume a stable fighting stance in proper allignment to deal with the kick.

At the same time, you put up a universal block. This is like a right inward and left downward block done simultaneously. The elbow of the right should support the elbow of the left, and the arms are not overextended, so they have some give. This protects a large area in case the kick did not go where you thought it was.

To trap off the block as I described it, immediately (absolutely no break in flow) either crane with the right or circle under with the left. If you step farther up the circle, you can do a left inward and right downward universal block. (These are the adaptations of the Taiji energy ball, or basket, which is notoriouse for trapping). Crane over with the left as you roll the right elbow up to press in on his knee, and step your right behind his left (supporting) leg. I think you can finish it from here. This must be quick and smooth, because you are getting in close with that step up, and your back is partially exposed. What makes it work is the unballancing effect of the trap and inward elbow. You must also get that trap quickly, before he retracts the kick. His kick contacting is the force that drives your block into a trap. It is also important to anchor your elbows in the traps, otherwise the kicks will just drive your arms back. Also gives you leverage.

Hope this helps. If you do Hsing Yi, I'm sure your instructor can help you out with this.

Freedom isn't free!

Thanks for the explanation Delta1. I've seen a few kenpo vid clips from a website you posted. It reminds me of Silat which is what I've done for the past 5 years now. I've only done Hsing yi for about a year.

Are there any muay thai guys out there? Tell me how you guys would defend.

all you can do is absorb it in the arm like you would a hook. make sure its tight or youll end up punching yourself, so to speak. still though, try not to take one at all... kick em in the leg if they do it, hehehe.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I like the step in and block the knee while elbow striking the head myself.

So many choices, so few opportunities to actually use them! :D

I have a variation of 'Swinging Pendulum' that I like, where you don't step up the circle but instead step straight into his center. The universal is done hard and aimed just proximal to his knee, which really unballances him. The left immediately circles inward to check high, and you attack with elbows and hammerfists up and down his center line. I caught my brother once with a variation of the universal where the low block was more an outward on an almost horizontal plane, and the high was done sort of loke an elbow strike, only I just put it there and let his kick hit it. He gave himself the mutha of all charlie horses! But since the wolfman asked about traps, I left all that fun stuff out! :wink:

Freedom isn't free!

Like everyone else is saying

#1 GET OUT OF THE WAY

I know that you can get out of the way of everything and for sure you can block everything but if you have to block it, use both arms so the hit is not directly on one arm (like delta1 said) you also need to train like this, if you train tip tap sparring and go against a normal muay thai fighter whos training is way more intense then guess what, you getting hurt out there, you need to condition your body for these blocks. Your forarms and shins need to be well conditioned before getting into a real full contact match and heck your whole body needs to be conditioned and it comes with intense training and sparring. I mean be safe but keep it as real as you can

good topic

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!