• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pre-school Black belts

I feel schools that cater to children have ruined the martial arts in America.

Greedy instructors and pushy overbearing parents help to produce these 10 year old "masters"

may the almight dollar rain supreme :lol:

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm one of those obnoxious persons who intend to keep away from her dojo kids under 13 years old. Still I'd make an exeption for kids who are really into it and work hard. They could join with no pronlem. I've seen so many ruined classes because of 5 year old kids who run around and don't pay attention. My plan would be simple. I would give the smaller kids the chance to train for few days to see how they do and if they really like it. If they seem to enjoy it and abide by the rules, I'll make room for them. If not, I'll ask the parents to save me from the headaches and get their kids to other activities they would really enjoy.

In the BB problem, I'm stuborn too :)

Teenagers under 18 should wear brown as the highest rank, since in our federation BB means you can instruct in your own club. At brown belt they can still enjoy the hype of being very high ranked and after they turn 18 (and are considerred adults who can fully respond for their actions from the law's POV) they are welcome to test.

We've got some brownies who waited to turn 18 and I didn't see them bother too much because of this rule. They assisted in the classes and were respected as being awesome martial artists. One of them turned 18 last year and only now he is considerring testing for shodan. He wasn't in a rush :karate:

That I could live with, a child with an elevated belt. I have always felt that the bb was the symbol of experience. I don't know how true it is. The old story of white belt evolving into a black belt, just by the wearer working in it for years and years. But I believe in that. How much experience could any kid have?

Honor all things.

What is even sadder is the parents actually believe their little master can kick *.

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!

What is even sadder is the parents actually believe their little master can kick *.

Against someone their own age, they may be able to. It's all relative.

In my style, they would allow a child under 18 to test for junior black belt... it was not as rigorous or demanding as the normal 1st Dan test, but as soon as they were 18, they had to quit wearing the 1/2 red 1/2 black belt and go back to 1st gup red. I waited until I was 18 before testing so I didn't have to go through it twice.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I've read everyone's comments and the question I have is "what's a black belt?" What do you have to show and prove. The way we look at it when we promote to black belt is that the person has mastered the "basics", now they are ready to learn and I think a 9 year old can do that. No they can't teach a class (they can help) and I don't expect them to recite some ancient Asain philosophy about being some warrior. Sorry to say I love teahing kids MA and we do have 10 year old black belts that are great kids and yes they can defend themselves or more important know when to walk away from a fight with their head up. If you think kids are ruining MA then you have no idea what MA does for a child. This world is one big sh.. hole and the only way to turn it around is to teach kids some good values which is what the MA is all about. Fu.. belts, its there to keep your pants up. Let's have some great martial artists who are also great people that are going to do some great things in this world. And yes I've seen kids who are black belts that don't have a clue as to what they are doing and I think that is a big disservice to them.

Man it's late so I hope I made some kind of sense.

Squawman wrote to fu** belts, that they were there to just hold up pants. For the most part I agree with that. But yet he says that he has 10 year old bb's in his class. Apparently belts are very important in his class. If not why are they being awarded so abundantly. His statement that a black belt means that 'you were ready to learn' is what is wrong with the belt system. What the he** does yellow belt mean? As far as children go, are we doing them any favors by letting them think they are something they are not. You wouldn't coerce a little league pitcher into thinking that he is just as good as a major league ballplayer, just becuase you can 'buy' him the same jersey. Think of the disappointment that would ensue. Child MA's should learn discipline, confidence, honor, integrity all the good qualities that come from the martial arts, including honesty.

Honor all things.