• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for Advice

What is the best approach to speak to my sensei about the direction the class is taking? All we've done this past year is work on kihon and kata. Essentially nothing else, and nothing else seems planned. There was some talk over the summer about practicing breaking, and the plans for weapons training are non-existant. My own personal training toward weapons seems ignored, just barely tolerated.

I want to be able to speak to sensei without coming off in a manner that I'm taken out of context. I look at other dojos ans by comparison the instructors there have been practicing much longer and have higher Dan levels. So in a way I feel that I might be missing out, and the reason we aren't learning some things is maybe they don't know it yet. (Some examples are delf-defense techniques like locks/grabs/take-downs, pre-fight and post-fight training, legal ramifications, board breaking, and weapons.)

Even sparring is an issue. Sensei doesn't want us sparring until we're at the brown belt level, all we are permitted to do is three-step or one-step. Rarely are we allowed to do semi-free. I seriously think that I'm missing out on a lot of practice.

So, that all said and done, how can I speak with sensei and use language that doesn't insult? How can I come across constructive, and concerned and not cynical, disrespectful, and rude? Have you instructors ever been in a situation where a student has had similar feelings, and how did it turn out? Did they come off ignorant or did it all work out? Moreover, did you end up changing what you do, or adding or subtracting from your syllabus?

In advance, thank you for your input. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is one of the most difficult things to do .. and if you are lucky to have a good understandin sensei, only then it's easier. The thing would be to have a very "innocent" way of putting it. I find it useful to tell him about my rants in the Karate forums. So we've created qiuite a bond and he's more interested than ever in what is happening in other dojos aroud the world. So it's quite easy for me to give some hints and questions.

You could share with him some information and he'll fall for it. You could tell him that others said they sparr from the first day and ask him what he thinks about it ... little by little you can get him where you want,

It won't work if the guy is an ..ss. Nothing could help then :D And make sure it's private talk. A good instructor would always like to hear some ideas and have students that are so interested in Karate that they spend some time reading all about it in forums and sites.

Another way that may help open some dialog is to write him a short letter. Begin by telling him what you enjoy about the class. Highlight the positives of your training. Then simply say that you have a couple of questions regarding your training, and ask him if it would be possible to meet withi him outside of class to discuss a couple of ideas. Aske him for a time to meet. This is a very non-threatening way to approach him, and will let him know that you would like to speak with him, but would also allow him to pick the time and place where he would feel most comfortable.

Just a thought.

Good luck, and let us know how things go. :)

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Talking to you sensei about the "issues" you are having with class can be very hard depending on what sort of a person he/she is. All I can suggest is be respectful and as non-critical of his teaching as possible.

I see you are doing Shotokan. I'm wondering if this sort of thing is common in that system, as the local Shotokan dojo here is similar from what I've seen. They do no grabbing techniques, the sparring that I've seen is ridgid, to formal and not very realistic. No weapons are taught, and no defense against weapons.

Personally, if you don't get any results from your talk with your sensei, obviously you're not satisfied with what you're doing...I'd leave and find a dojo more to your liking.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

The last Shotokan sensei I had was teaching all of those things, so I'm not sure if its the same for all of our dojos.

Thank you for all of your advice so far!

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Sounds kind of like a waist of time dojo for those seeking real training for self defense. I mean not being allowed to spar until brown belt level come on thats crazy in my opinion. Thats like learning swimming techniques forever before being allowed to hop in the water and try it out. I've seen similar schools to what your talking about and they give students a false sense that they can truely defend themselves.

TRAIN HOW YOU FIGHT, FIGHT HOW YOU TRAIN

that is a training saying to live by, so if you dont think your going fight the way that your training then you might want to just move on

Good Luck

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I see you are doing Shotokan. I'm wondering if this sort of thing is common in that system, as the local Shotokan dojo here is similar from what I've seen. They do no grabbing techniques, the sparring that I've seen is ridgid, to formal and not very realistic. No weapons are taught, and no defense against weapons.

Well, in my Shotokan dojo we train a lot in grabbing and grappling techniques, as well as traditional and modern weapons. Not all Shotokan dojo's are the same!

However, cathal, if you feel that you are 'missing out' in your training it might be worthwhile getting together with other students at your club and see how they feel. If there are a significant number of you who feel the same way, then maybe you could all go together to Sensei to explain youe case.

Start by being polite and respectful and thankful for the training that you have been given, then move onto raising the issues that you want to talk about.

If your Sensei refuses to talk about your concerns with you in a reaosnable manner, or states that you'll not be incorporationg other aspects of MA into your training then it may be that it would be better for you to find another dojo.

Good luck.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

You also have to look at it this way. If you are paying your instructor money to teach you martial arts then he has the obligation to do that. If you are not getting what you want then you need to look elsewhere. It sounds like you are not being taught certain things either because your instructor doesn't know how to teach them or he could care less about running a good class and having great students.

He himself might not realise that this is all that he's doing. Esspecially if he's not the only person who teaches classes. If he is though, sometimes you just have to speak your mind to him...

Green Belt in Sullivans Kenpo Jujitsu

Asst. Instructor

• 3 weeks later...

Cathal,

As someone who has been studying karate (aka shotokan) for nearly twenty years I can give you some advice.

First, the purpose of YOU traing is important. Perhaps your goals and the goals of your instructor are different. In tradition, the only weapons in karate are your "empty hands."

Second, you should always feel comfortable speaking with your instructor. If he/ she was training you in weapons and isn't now, politely ask, "when will I learn more techniques for my weapon?"

Third, the ranks and times different things are taught vary from school to school. In karate (shotokan) kihon and kata are the core of the training. Funakoshi O Sensei wasn't fond of free sparring. In the most traditional schools, it is a long time (a year or more) before you get to do this. However, if you want more attention on other things, you should consider looking to other schools and ask questions about the things that do and don't interest you.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."