• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the duel Miyamoto Musashi lost

Gonnosuke Muso did not found jojutsu nor did he invent the jo. He did found the most famous school of jojutsu (Shindo Muso Ryu) however. This is from my research so I could be wrong. However it is from several sources.

What are these sources? I, too, had heard that Muso invented the jo, in direct response to his initial loss against Musashi.

As to the outcome of the second fight - the one with the jo - I have heard alternatively that Musashi lost or that it was a draw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thing is, without good historical records well never know exactly what happened.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I was going to say that William Durbin was one of the most respected martial historians of our time. I've read his work before and had no reason to doubt it. I did a little research o him before I stuck my foot in my mouth any further and found that he is a student and close friend of Rod Sachernowski of the Junko Kai.

Luckily for me I haven't used his history as examples on any of my other posts that I know of. As far as Shindo Muso Ryu goes I could have been mistaken when I stated that it wasn't the oldest style of joutsu. Sorry.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.