• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the duel Miyamoto Musashi lost

there are alot of legends about him and a few lies. i have read in a few books that claim he never lost a fight, but one of my instructors told me that he heard that Miyamoto lost one recorded duel against a guy who used a Bo.

anybody know some info they could bring my way.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I do not recall who the bo user was, but I vaguely remember hearing something about it.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Ya but it was a JO staff not BO. In fact it was the founder of the JO (short staff) style depending if u ask a JO stylist or a kendoist he either won or lost but they both agree the confrontation did occurr and it had to be memorable if it was recorded. Sorry can't remeber the guys name?

Donkey

I want to add also that I have never heard of this confrontation from the Musashi side of the house. You only hear about it from the folks that use a jo in their training. I'm not saying the story isn't true, I'm just telling you what I've personally found doing research.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

They fought twice, or so the story goes. The first time that Gonnosuke Muso fought Musashi in battle, he was wielding a Jo, but Musashi quickly overtook him and won the duel. It was at that time that Gonnosuke Muso then shortened the Bo into a Jo, giving him much more speed to combat the swords of Musashi. He won this time, and became the founder of Jojutsu.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

The story as far as I know is true.....Musashi had recorded a total of 62 recorded wins, using both swords and bokken against his opponents. The story goes that it was a challenge of skill, not a fight to the death, and that Musashi used his wooden swords for the duel. As SasoriTe stated in his post, the duel was against Gonnosuke Muso, who was in fact the founder of Shindo Muso Ryu JoJitsu (JoJutsu, depending on how you like to spell it).....Again though, not being a fight to the death, and only for the sake of a challenge of skill, there are conflicting stories as to the outcome. The Muso Ryu account obviously favors his side of things, while others believe that Musashi would have killed Muso, had he been using his live swords.....

Again though......this is another version of the story that IVE heard.......im sure there are more versions out there....ya know ?????

One thing is absolutely certain......the level of skill that these two masters possessed was truly phenomenal....legendary, in fact. I can only begin to imagine what an awesome display of artistry was witnessed that day by those who were fortunate enough to be spectators......regardless of who won or lost, and even moreso if it was a draw.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Gonnosuke Muso did not found jojutsu nor did he invent the jo. He did found the most famous school of jojutsu (Shindo Muso Ryu) however. This is from my research so I could be wrong. However it is from several sources.

Yes I also found that they did supposedly fight twice and the first time was a bo, but I was specifically referring to the jo fight. Again, according to research.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Hehe, don't take my word for it, I learned that from the Mortal Kombat video games. And who says fighting games aren't educational!

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.