• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Western Martial Arts

With all the traditional Asian martial arts and the newer mixed martial arts, its easy to forget or overlook Western arts, such as javeline, wrestling, boxing, archery, and fencing, as well as more obscure arts like savate and celtic wrestling. Now some of these arts, such as boxing and wrestling aren't particularly deadly, but then neither was Judo, but because it was full-contact (like boxing & wrestling) it was able to prevail over most forms of Jiu-Jitsu (except for Fusen Ryu). Now I'd say boxing and wrestling are fairly safe, but lets not forget the combat effectiveness, tradition, or sport of these arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I dont think anyone is forgetting these other styles/sports that your talking about. I think that they are not as popular as some OR they are not looked at as much as a self defense art. Dont get me wrong I'm not saying that you cant use the techniques within them. Now Savate is trying to grow in the USA but it is going to be awhile before there is a good amount of training locations. Trust me I have looked and wanted to get into savate. Boxing and Wrestling are huge sports but if you look at them, they are limited due to rules. Now you take a wrestler and put them into a grappling arts class, watch because once he/she breaks the bad habits of rules and learn some basics they get rather good fast (normaly), take a boxer and put them into a stand up style once again break some bad habits they also can progress quick, but I think it is the rules of these sports that hold them back from other styles. Now if you look at Judo, it is a sport with rules, but Judo players can be a mighty force, especially if you teach them how to strike standing and on the ground.

Anyways just my thoughts on the topic

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

If you look into the history of boxing, it used to be a more formidable art including some throws and more stand-up grappling - before it was toned down by safety concerns.

I'd also like to learn Savate, and have been hampered by a lack of clubs - none this side of London AFAIK

I also fenced for 12 years.... would love to try Quarterstaff too if I could find anywhere.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

The problem with MA's is that they change according to the times. When they were needed for survival and the place in which they lived was extremely dangerous the skills being taught from those perspectives were real and effective. In time of peace these MA's change and became sports and have rules. So basically Boxing and Wrestling are sports and fencing is a sport. Now days even learning these sports can give you an advantage over everyday people on the street. The reason the MA's that are lethal are not common anymore is that we are not constantly fighting. Plus why would anyone study something so lethal when you live in a civilized society? I think you could find someone that teaches the real forms of the sports you mentioned I'd be very interested in taking a look at them. But I don't know of any school that has passed on those traditions consistantly throughout the ages like certain Asian cultures have.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Fencing would be sweet, if it wasn't for the fact that it is practived in a straight corridor...they can only go forward or backwards. Now put them in a circle! and now you are talking!

I can tell you haven't fenced (much)... the reason we fence in a straight line is that is the easiest way to keep yourself guarded. You start moving at diagonals or around and you very quickly create openings that your opponent can take advantage of. Fencing hasn't always been carried out in straight lines, but the techniques evolved that way because that's what worked.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

It's the protection - the helmet, the jacket, the gloves - that cost, not to mention the sword itself. However, if you're in college, you could just take a class. Then they provide all of that stuff for you. You might also like to look into the local junior colleges (if there are any around where you live), since they'll be cheaper.