• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Makiwara Question

Chirath

I am going to be buying a Makiwara. Yet I will be putting it on my wall. Does anyone have any experience with Makiwaras on walls. I have seen footage of them being on a post and being used. Yet I have never seen footage of them being used on a wall. Is there a point buying a Makiwara if it's being used on the wall. And what are the advantages/disadvantages of using it on a wall?

Thanks in advance for all the Karatekas who will help :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Chirath, the only thing you should really concern yourself is the distance from the wall. It should be at least 4-5 inches away. The intent when punching it should be to target 2 inches behind, thus moving the makiwara backward a bit. You really don't want it "mounted" to the wall where it will give no leeway.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

There's no sense - unless you buy something like Hirota's wall mounted makiwara ( http://www.karategi-hirota.co.jp/img/9_07.jpg ). Makiwara does need to have enough give to flex under your punches. It's not a conditioning tool - it's a wrist alignment and body usage training tool.

The "pad" -makiwara that are mounted to wall usually begin from the misunderstanding that makiwara would be a conditioning tool. They've wrong. You'll only cause damage to your wrists and fingerjoints by such things.

Skip it - or buy one that is similar to the Hirota-example I posted a link to. However, for home use, I'd probably consider a good punching bag. It has more uses than makiwara does have.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

the most important thing is for your makiwara to be able to absorb the force and moves back a little bit, without this hard bouncing characteristic the force has to be absorb back %100 by your joints, this is something you don't want.

you could always put one in the back yard

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

There are some wall mounted makawari that are good......If it has "give" to it......the one I have for the wall has a thick pad, with a backing that has three parts to it, each separated by about 1/4 inch of space to "give"......typical wall mounted makawari pads that have no "give" to them ar very harmful to the wrist joint, and wind up causing much more harm to you then good. I also have a makawari post, from "King" makawari, I think in California.....it has a leather covering , and really is great.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

But punching bags are too expensive :bawling: Thanks for the help guys anyway :)[/url]

You don't need to spend alot on a heavy bag. Use your imagination.

Pick up a canvas bag (even an old laundry bag) at the army navy store, stuff it with old rags and hang it. You'll need to keep packing in more rags until it settles from the pounding. You can also buy a bag and fill it yourself its a lot cheaper and takes a little work but it very do-able. :)

Years ago we didn't have all this expensive and fancy equipment they do now. :roll:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.