• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chinto / gunkaku

ronryu

Performing a Kata like Gankaku properly takes years and years of training. Sure anyone can practise it, but performing it properly is another issue altogether :grin:

I know its exciting to learn new and advanced Kata, I was like that when I was young. Our school would not teach them so I went and bought books and learnt them myself.

Years later I see why they are not taught to less advanced students. It may not seem fair but I do see the reasons.

In Nakayama's books he reiterates over and over "one must have a very mature technique to perform this Kata, otherwise it tends to just look like a dance (paraphraze)"

Another very important issue is being able to properly execute all the Bunkai of a Kata. Its no use being able to do a Kata unless one can also properly apply the techniques in a real life situation. This is of paramount importance.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chinto we do in ****o ryu is very different form the gankaku of the shotokan . In the Tomari version which is the one I have learned it is in an diaganal pattern and there are no tsura ashi dachi in it at all i have seen the shuri (Itosu Chinto ) it looks more like gankaku . Sorry for the mix up .

Bunkai is a huge part of the teachings of ****o ryu you dont just learn the pattern but you learn the moves as well and i would hope that by the time you are learning such kata as Chinto or kosokun dai that you would be able to figure out the basic b unkai on your on. But that is just my opinion ....

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

maybe it did for you anonymous one :wink: learning heian yondan was harder for me then gankaku, hehe and i compete internationally with gankaku :wink: chahcahchacha

wait wait wait, you mean some shotokan schools actually teach bunkai? i hope you dont mean that best karate bullnkai. :wink:

When i learned suparenpei from a goju ryu friend of mine he showed me the bukai for each technique, and it was incredibly fascinating, it seemed to be real technique not this step sparring type generic jka stuff. (thats the technicall term for it :wink:

I know plenty if "high ranking" people who still explain bunkai as it comes out of best karate.

I would never say they understand it.

Forgive me if this comes out as rude anonymousone :wink:

On 2002-03-03 13:21, ZakariRu wrote:

maybe it did for you anonymous one :wink: learning heian yondan was harder for me then gankaku, hehe and i compete internationally with gankaku :wink: chahcahchacha

wait wait wait, you mean some shotokan schools actually teach bunkai? i hope you dont mean that best karate bullnkai. :wink:

When i learned suparenpei from a goju ryu friend of mine he showed me the bukai for each technique, and it was incredibly fascinating, it seemed to be real technique not this step sparring type generic jka stuff. (thats the technicall term for it :wink:

I know plenty if "high ranking" people who still explain bunkai as it comes out of best karate.

I would never say they understand it.

Forgive me if this comes out as rude anonymousone :wink:

Our school is not JKA but a Shotokan derivitive that started just after Funakoshi's death, so no it doesnt offend me

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Nice work on gankaku jiggy9. I was shown this

Kata prior to taking my 1st Dan and treasured it as I was told is was a 2nd Dan kata. It made me feel god as 2nd dans at my then club could not do it. People were judged on the number of katas they could perform. I have since learnt from this folly. Now as a 2nd Dan myself and learning from far more experineced people than my humble self it is not the number or level of kata you can perform, but the quality and understanding of it"s contents.

2nd Dan Black Belt Karate 1st Dan Brithai

Cardio Kickboxing Coach and Professional fitness trainer based in Cambridgeshire England

• 3 weeks later...

Almost all kata can be found in other styles under differant names. I practice and teach Shotokan but I also hold a black belt in a style that was put together based on Tang Soo Do and Hipkaido in which we do several kata that are very close.

The reason is basically this. They mostly came from China or one Sensei long ago. Over time his students either forgot a part or changed a part to fit them better. This evolution slowly occurd over time and today we have differant kata that come from the same place. Sort of like Charles Darwin said aobut monkeys and man. LOL

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 weeks later...

In my style isshinryu Karate we perform Chinto on the angles in a "x" shaped format It is one of my favorite katas that shows fluidity speed and power of my style. It is a great feeling of strength and powerful energy I get every time I finish the last punch in the kata with a kiai

destiny is whatever you make out of life, But what ever you make out of life inevitably becomes your destiny

In my style isshinryu Karate we perform Chinto on the angles in a "x" shaped format It is one of my favorite katas that shows fluidity speed and power of my style. It is a great feeling of strength and powerful energy I get every time I finish the last punch in the kata with a kiai

destiny is whatever you make out of life, But what ever you make out of life inevitably becomes your destiny

• 2 years later...