• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this move practical

How about using your foot to hook his heel, or better yet, wrapping his leg with yours as you off-balance. That way he has less of a chance to see it coming. You also have more leverage from up top if you immobilize the his leg with yours. It's an old technique but it works. If done correctly you land with your forearm neatly across the opponents throat. I can't remember the jujutsu name for the technique though. I'm sure someone here can refressh my memory.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about using your foot to hook his heel, or better yet, wrapping his leg with yours as you off-balance.

Excellant point! Attacking on two levels and keeping your base and ballance in tact while destroying his is extremely effective. Here's an example sort of along those lines:

http://www.unitedparkerskenpo.com/Onthemat.html

One thing, when Mr. Ryer talks about pinning the foot, it is a momentary pin- NOT a long term immobilization! Also, this is a basic drill, not a fight sequence (for those that take everything litteraly). Try to glean what it teaches instead of memorizing the sequences. Look at it with a view to adding in your own strikes, changing the footwork, etc. Maybe modify it to work with your own systems footwork and strikes. Enjoy!

Freedom isn't free!

sounds risky at best , it might work if you dazed him first.

also be leary of causing unecessary harm in a real fight as there could be legal repercussions

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

Omly way Id go for a single leg take down is as a counter to either a kick to the ribs or a knee to the face. Its really risky going that low, a front sprawl will knock you on your belly, a strong elbow down will also knock you to the ground. If you can get close enough to do that to em, use your ankle against a knee cap and keep driving, theyll go down, and you either be in their guard , or over the hips allowing you to all sorts of nasty things

sounds risky at best , it might work if you dazed him first.

also be leary of causing unecessary harm in a real fight as there could be legal repercussions

Not really. So long as the attacker can be considered a serious threat. (iow your size or bigger, able-bodied, apparently competent, basic common sense) you won't be in much legal trouble so long as there is a serious crime taking place, you are allowed to use any force necessary to stop the crime. Be it knocking them out, rehinging an elbow, tearing a muscle, or taking their life.

Note, I received this info from a former cop and my Kung fu Su-Xiong. Both are quite reliable but not completely infallible sources. The law may have changed in the forty or so years since my grandpa got off the force. A topic really should be started on this question of what is legal self-defence

This is a low single leg shoot, used quite a bit by fighters in Japan.

I think the locked knee would limit the directions in which you could fall if someone used this technique on you.

Like all takedowns, it should be done quickly enough that the opponent cannot react, or as a follow up to strikes.

• 2 months later...

ive done this move before i wrestled for abotu 3 years went to tournaments and junk and yo can still pull off that move you just have to set it up a very easy and effective set up for leg takedowns is just to pull down on thier head make them face the floor as reflex they will automatically stand straight up .

but right after you push their head down move in for the move u just have to be fast trust me it works . you can also use that set up for a varity of different moves its a good way to get your opponent off balance and open them up.

too sweet

• 2 weeks later...

Yes a single leg will work but, I sugest that you keep at least one arm up to protect your face, shoot with your head to the outside of the persons leg that you are attacking and shoot from very close in. I am not recomending take downs as part of a street fight or shooting with out some other strikes but if the person is not on their toes the shoot will work just fine, just not my cup of tea.

Survivor