• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this move practical

I just thought this up the other day while wrestling and then tried it out on a friend and nearly broke his leg. But does this seem practical given a real fight? Just wanted to draw some wisdom on this. Here it is.......

Standing in front of the opponent quickly reach down and grab the back of your opponents heel while lunging forward with your shoulder just under the knee cap there by inverting his leg.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From your description, sounds to me like you are about to eat a knee! You would also give up your ballance, which , especially in close, is not a good thing to do.

There is a takedown that works across his body, where your near hand goes behind his far ankle and your shoulder and then body pushes him back and over as you lift the ankle. But timeing, angles, and position are everything with this move.

There are other moves, similar to what you describe. But the shoulder pushes into his abdomen and pelvic girdle to unballance him as you hook the ankle.

Note that I'm not a grappler, so you will probably get some better insights from SevenStar, fat donkey, or some of the other grapplers. But that's my take on it. I'll be interested in what they have to say as well.

Freedom isn't free!

I generally agree with what has already been said... though what you are describing is similar ot several single-leg takedowns, the fact that you are taking your face from upright, straight towards his knee, would invite a knee to your head.

I can think of some ways to protect this, but it would seem simpler to push higher (hip or abdomen), then drop to the position you wnted on his leg once he starts the fall.

As far as going from the stand up to try and shoot in and pull this technique off I would not suggest it. I know the technique your talking about and it works BUT it is trained for if you end up on the ground somehow and your attacker is standing, there is to much at risk to try and go for the technique unless you somehow end up on the ground with an attacker standing over you and he gives you the opportunity.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Agreed. It is a technique that 'can' be applied with a reasonable chance of success, in a grappling-only scenario, but not if strikes are allowed. Also, there are plenty of counters to this, including a full pivot during takedown, which leaves the defender sitting on the attacker, with the option of dropping into an overhead triangle choke. Other easy counters include bending your knee and putting your weight forward, which could either be a painful smack for the person thinking of putting his head there, or it could simply be an immovable object. Or another would be turning and dipping, while simultaneously placing your arm wrapped below and over the other attacker's arm, with the other arm ensuring the hand holding the heel remains as is. The attacker's push ends up being your means to flip him on his back, with your knee landing somewhere on his chest or face... or pretty much anywhere you want it to be.

Everything works, and everything can be countered. Just matters who you apply it to (i.e, their skill level, etc), with what degree of skill you apply it with, whether there was any setup involved, the speed at which the actions are committed, and what rules, if any, exist.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

no, instead grab his heal (or both) and put your head right into his solar plexus or on the inside of his thigh and push him down.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

on the inside of his thigh and push him down.

That's pretty much the same as he described, with the same counters and potential dangers indicated by me and others.

instead grab his heal (or both) and put your head right into his solar plexus

good luck with that one, Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

actually ive found grabbing his heel and heading his solar plexus rather easy to pull off in various circumstances.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli